School getting a bit too religious?

Gurki

School getting a bit too religious?

Post by Gurki »

I work in a international school in Europe and its "mission statement" is filled with promises of respect for all, etc. but over the years there's been a clear shift: fellow teachers are including religious viewpoints in their lessons, many of the charities the school supports have religious background and every Sunday, the school is even used by a Christian church for service, Sunday school, etc. Several of the workshops offered to teachers are also organized by religious-related organisations.
I don't support any of this and it clashes with my view of what an International school should be (i.e. void of religion).
I've been working in the school for several years and have been happy here, but I do not like the direction it's continuing to take. Which official instance can I go to? Voicing my concerns within the school would not change anything (and make my life hell afterwards…). The director would not do a thing (the board & PTO are both headed by individuals who 'abide in God', and the core of "rich and influential" parents is also very "holy"…).
Any suggestion very welcome. Thanks!
shadowjack

Re: School getting a bit too religious?

Post by shadowjack »

I think it's a sign from God that you need to take the road to Damascus - or your next position. Obviously, there is nothing a single person can do about it. It sounds like it is either put up or move out.

Just my two halalas,

Shad
Gurki

Post by Gurki »

Any other constructive advice? (I don't really believe in voices from above telling me what to do… ;-) )
I've heard of parents who weren't happy about the situation either, but again no one seems to dare bring it up "officially". If the school isn't following its mission statement, surely something can be done to at least discuss it (without compromising my career)?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

tough situation and i sympathize with you.

i think it depends on the school and the country you are in, and the rights given to those living in that country, for you to do anything really "official," and even then in the best circumstance, it may cost you your job and almost certainly will cost you comfort among the staff and leadership. again, it depends on your role in the school. school mission statements aren't legally binding, as far as i am aware; if they were, you'd likely have only a handful of schools out there!

on a smaller level, you probably can reinforce the benefits of secularism to both the students and the staff by actively teaching different viewpoints instead of the judeo-christian one. depending on your grade/subject, insert different ideas, quotes, examples, and characters from both the secular world and the spiritual/religious one.
one thing i did in my last school regarding charities was simply research the one they wanted, found a lot of sketchy stuff with it (a missionary bent) and found more secular alternatives (though they're not always better either).
schools renting out their facilities to groups is pretty normal, even if they are religious in nature. as long as they are relatively peaceful and don't damage anything.
the workshops being religious is new to me - again, maybe find alternatives? or choose not to attend?

BUT the core of your parents are okay with it, your director seems okay with it, the PTO and the board are okay with it....hate to say this because i am definitely on your side with this - you may be SOL.

but if you're adamant about it, you could see who your allies and friends are by asking, and then maybe talking to your assistant principal and principal first, then director.

be sure to document as much as you can also, so your on point and cogent, and not orally flailing around trying to find examples of how they're all drinking kool-aid. you should have some leeway having been there for several years (as long as "several" doesn't mean 3 or 4, but like 6-8).

best of luck at jesus camp!

v.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You know you are like King Canute, right? And that nothing is going to change until the present admin is washed out with said tide, which might be a long time after you've been and gone.

Going against the tide might also cost you your recommendation. My recommendation is pick your battles carefully. However, it seems this one is already lost, unless you are in a position of authority to do something.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Mission statements (as well as vision statements, and philosophy statements) are just words on paper. They arent enforceable. Renting the various facilities of the IS to the public is common for a small IS. Your options come down to either drink the Koolaid, pretend to drink the Koolaid, or exit pursuit by a bear.
sid

Post by sid »

I've worked in both religious and secular schools, the religious ones being different religions and never my faith. For me it's not a problem, and I believe it's a good idea to support students in developing their spirituality, albeit without compulsion or duplicity. So I have no problem with what the school is doing, assuming it's pretty transparent to all stakeholders.
Since you don't agree with the school, it does seem like your best move, is to move on. I'm truly sorry for the disruption to your life. Sounds like you accidentally wandered into a situation that's untenable for you.