Teaching in China

Aislinn

Teaching in China

Post by Aislinn »

Is it possible to obtain a work visa after 60 yrs of age? I have been told by a recruiter that this is possible?
mysharona

Re: Teaching in China

Post by mysharona »

In Shanghai it is possible right up to the year you turn 65.
Aislinn

Post by Aislinn »

Thank you so much, most positions I have seen specify 60 years and under.
Owl@Dusk

Post by Owl@Dusk »

Hi,

This is partly dependent on the province, the school and in some instances how much the school wants you.

I have heard of some (Dipont-style) schools towards the West that have been happy to take teachers that are 65+, especially if the teachers are willing to cover their own insurance.
Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Yes, every province follows its own set of "rules" (so worth a check) but I know several people hitting 70 who are still happily working in China :D

Good luck!
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Shanghai just sent out changes. All our teachers over 60 are NOT guaranteed a visa next year and were given an option not to renew because of it. The school cannot guarantee they'll be able to obtain a work permit for the 2017-2018 year. They're all in a wait and see mode
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Basmad6

Bunk, what do you mean option not to renew, if they renew and dont get a visa, they will still be eligible to job search and given the situation they can still job search.
Whats worse is that no guarantee is just a scam, they can get visas if they really want to and will expend the resources to make it happen. The ones they wont will get the "so sorry we cant get visa for you, so sorry bye bye".
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Sorry Psyguy, what Basmad 6 states was true at the time, teachers 60 and above and even teachers turning 60 during the 2017-18 school year were told they could not be offered a contract for next year. Its all based on a points system and luckily our school was able to justify a higher number of points for teacher, making them eligible for a contract next year. Whether this applied to other schools I don't know.
sid

Post by sid »

It's simply not true that schools can do whatever they want if they're committed to it.
Yes, schools can often make some things happen that the government isn't really keen on overall, but it is very hard to do, and costs the school a ton of political capital. Schools therefore have to pick their battles really carefully, and woe onto them if they don't have the political capital to spend in the first place. One school may be able to arrange for their older teachers to get visas, while another school has to spend their political capital on getting approval for building their new campus, and another school is in the doghouse because a politician's son just got kicked out for dealing drugs on campus, so they have no power to accomplish anything more than staying open and following every every every law to the exact letter.
And some battles just can't be won, no matter what.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Overhere

No it is true, there were/are plenty of ways for an IS to manipulate the point system. The woe is us, were just an IS we have no influence is bunk.

@Sid

Utter bunk @sid, but your post supports my position. Yes iis can be expensive both financially and politically but its doable, it requires willingness on behalf of the IS and leadership/ownership. Buildings, visas, etc those are all choices, with challenges for each and others, but an IS that prioritizes visas can make it happen if thats at the top of the list. All you are claiming is that buildings, etc. are more important than staffing, thats a choice. The IS in the doghouse can always apologize, readmit the student and then pay some penance. Really, if they expelled a student with that degree of influence, its their own fault for making that choice. Thats a battle leadership choose for itself.
Thats quitter, loser talk, any battle can be won.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

psyguy you really are clueless sometimes. Others who are actually working and living in these areas know what is going on.

Shanghai is not messing around with the age change. There is a new foreign hire expert rating system. It will affect more than just teachers.
We had numerous challenges with getting spring hires here on time for August orientation. The process to get their work permits was not easy. One candidate had his issued the last week of July. Expedited visa fees later, he made it on time buying a ticket on a Friday to arrive the following Monday.

SO if you are 60 or over, your chances of getting a position at a legitimate school in and around Shanghai and other major cities in China will be very limited. It's a bummer, schools will lose some incredible staff.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Basmad6

I only post from actual experience or from trusted sources, and they arent clueless. Not easy doesnt mean not doable, you are perpetuating the illusion that ISs are helpless, when in reality it is a lack of will, or an IS that wants some pat on the back for doing what they are supposed to be doing. In this case attempting to create political currency by giving the IT a favor in obtaining their visa.
Your IS seems to have accomplished the extraordinary, your ITs must feel so special and Im sure they are appreciative.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Sorry again, I'm living the dream and am impacted by the change. You are blowing smoke
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Overhere

Youre fear mongering, and making excuses for recruiters and leadership.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Wow because I have no idea how hiring works and I wasn't involved at all in the process.
Thanks for letting me know psyguy. You are the expert.