Is there a demand for speech pathologists to work in Europe?

EllieSLP

Is there a demand for speech pathologists to work in Europe?

Post by EllieSLP »

Hello all, I'm an American and Canadian trained speech pathologist with 13 yrs of experience currently working in a major city in China. I'm not directly hired by an IS, but consult at a Tier 1 and a Tier 2 school 2x/week. I am looking to make the switch and work for an IS in Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Spain). I do not hold an EU passport, but I do have a lot of experience with kids (all ages from K through Grade 12). I would like to remain in China another 1.5 years and leave in June 2017. I can speak some Chinese, French, and English, but I do have one dependent (am a single mom). I figure if I start my search now (very cursory), I will have a better idea of how to aggressively apply this time next year. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.
shadowjack

Re: Is there a demand for speech pathologists to work in Eur

Post by shadowjack »

Hi EllieSLP,

what I would do is start researching. Which international schools have a high number of elementary students. As well, which have a high number of non-native English speakers? Start contacting them early. One thing to consider is many Europeans are bi-and-tri-lingual, with English being one of them. Also, as residents or citizens of EU countries, most families have access to these services already. But if you don't look you won't find out. Good luck!