female teacher with trailing spouse and 2 kids - possible?

BexC

female teacher with trailing spouse and 2 kids - possible?

Post by BexC »

I'm new to the ISR and would really welcome any feedback. I have 14 years English teaching experience in high achieving, independent UK schools and would really like to break into teaching abroad now. However, I have read various posts on here suggesting that it will be very difficult as I will have a non-teaching spouse and 2 small children. Husband will look for work when we get somewhere but obviously will be 'trailing' to start with!
I have pastoral experience, Oxbridge and A level experience so feel pretty qualified but just worried about that being overlooked when it comes to the dependents.

Any advice about countries to consider (currently looking at Malaysia / Hong Kong) or any other advice gratefully received!
shadowjack

Re: female teacher with trailing spouse and 2 kids - possibl

Post by shadowjack »

Keep in mind that most schools in decent places such as Hong Kong will give a single teacher ONE dependent - either your spouse or one of your children. The others are at your expense. Hong Kong, especially, has very small apartments and very high rents at the moment, and with the economy weakening, the tendency is to maintain or cut expenses.

That's not to say you won't find a school looking - hope for the best, but plan for the worst. The nice thing about teaching in the state system is that you don't have to give notice until April term break, so you have lots of time. However, any chance of your husband qualifying as a teacher? Just wondering, because recruiting as a couple is much easier.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

It is possible to get a job with 3 dependants (husband will be seen as one as he is not working) but there are a couple of things going against you

(1) English teaching is one of the more competitive positions out there - so it's harder to break into a good solid school from the start

(2) Malaysia and HK are both countries where people want to work - which means competition can be quite fierce. Thankfully - teaching jobs are not as fierce as finding positions for international students in HK

(3) For Hong Kong, many international schools have long waiting lists. As such - your kids potentially take away positions for fee paying students

If your willing to work in Hong Kong - why not consider Taiwan? It's free like HK (possibly more) but extends your potential countries to work in.

Yes having 2 kids and a husband does limit your marketability - but it's mainly in the middle east where it may (I used the word MAY - not will!) be more of a problem. This is because you will be the financial provider of your household which may cause problems with getting a visa in some countries.
BexC

Post by BexC »

Thank you both! I have applied to three schools so far and two of them have asked for initial skype interviews so I'm hoping that's a good sign that they're at least considering the idea!

Are there any other countries that anyone would consider family friendly? I'm not too sure about ME or South America but equally have heard lots of positives. I am worried about visa requirements for dependents as husband wants to be able to at least seek work rather than be completely restricted to house husband!
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

try a school in the middle east. i knew of teachers working there as singles with kids.

good luck!

v.
MaryAnne

Post by MaryAnne »

NLCS Jeju on Jeju Island, Korea loves people with British independent school experience, and Oxbridge. Very family friendly and don,t mind dependants. Package is excellent with reasonable accommodation close to school. FANTASTIC holidays. Downside: Jeju is lovely if you like outdoorsy stuff, otherwise very isolated. And you really do earn that package and holidays! Big-time. Your husband will find work only with school, or the other international schools in vicinity, and only if he has a degree.
wt2015

Post by wt2015 »

International School of Koje on Geoje Island in Korea offers jobs to people in your situation. It's a nice island and not as remote as Jeju. Might give it a whirl. :)