Need Advice for finding best teaching job

law_leslie

Need Advice for finding best teaching job

Post by law_leslie »

I really wasn't sure what to put in the subject line but that is essentially what I need help with. First let me explain that I am new to the teaching profession but have lived overseas for quite some time and hope to continue which is why I am new to the teaching profession.

I am originally an attorney by trade and practice and have both a Bachelors of Science and Juris Doctorate degree from US schools. Recently I have felt the pull to be a teacher to secondary students. This past summer I took a Professional Knowledge test (because of my doctorate) and passed therefore being issued a teaching certificate from the US. Now I am going to get my Masters in Secondary Education from a US university. I have decided to focus on the Masters program that will allow me to be certified to teach dual credit (both HS and College credit) courses.

My question is what should I focus on for the minor content portion of my Masters degree? I have spoken to my friends in the international school community and they suggested that both Math and Science teachers are more in demand than English and Social Studies. While I am good at Math and Science and am sure I could teach it that is not really my passion - I am more geared towards research and writing, government, and public speaking.

Knowing those things what do you think, with my background, would be best to make me a good candidate for hiring at an international school? My friend suggested I ask this to the forum thinking you guys might be able to provide me some helpful advice.

Thanks.
shadowjack

Re: Need Advice for finding best teaching job

Post by shadowjack »

My first question, to be blunt, is, "What do you teach?" My second question is, "How long have you been teaching it?"

It matters not whether you have been overseas or not - being overseas as a lawyer is a vastly different experience than being overseas as a teacher (having lawyer friends we have talked about this). You having no teaching experience and no real teaching training (you took a test and they gave you a certificate, is what I understand) is going to be a huge drawback except at bottom feeder ISs that will not come anywhere close to meeting your expectations.

Please provide some more information. However, I can honestly tell you, the gold standard for IS employment is likely a Chemistry/Physics teacher at an IB school. A secondary math teacher for DP comes in second, IMHO. English? Not so much.

Also don't forget to factor in - are you single? Married? Spouse a teacher? Children? All of these come into play as to hireability.
coughingfurballs

Re: Need Advice for finding best teaching job

Post by coughingfurballs »

I've taught in a few international schools in Europe, only one of which was third tier. All have had good packages. All have hired a few teachers with no prior teaching experience. I'd say you have a chance if you are certified.