Guam or United Arab Emirates?

Hyundai

Guam or United Arab Emirates?

Post by Hyundai »

I've been offered positions at St. John's School in Guam (western Pacific) and the American International School in Abu Dhabi, UAE. I now have to choose where I would like to go. I've already - the pay, benefits, culture, and lifestyle.

Any thoughts or comments on the schools, administration, teachers, etc.? Maybe you know of people who have worked there, vacationed there...etc.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I have been to Guam many times and I love the place. There are some drawbacks with living there though. There is a real welfare culture there as well as a lot of your Military with not much to do. The School is world class and everything you want is on Guam (including a very large K-Mart).

Travel opportunities to Japan, Philippines and Micronesia abound but is not cheap. Guam is reasonably priced compared to Japan but not as cheap as the USA. The weather is great year round but humid. I would actually live there if I had a choice.

As for the Gulf - well . . . . . . . . .. . If you like really hot weather, rich spoiled Middle Eastern kids, then go fo it. Travel is cheap from Abu Dhabi and you can get everything you want. We are talking two very different cultures.

Guam is far more American than most people realise. I see Guam as a Hawaii 1970s circa with everything in run-down condition.