Anyone have Preliminary Teacher Certificate from MA?

RebeccaG

Anyone have Preliminary Teacher Certificate from MA?

Post by RebeccaG »

Is a teaching license a teaching license, period, or does it matter what level the license is?

I have an MEd, years of teaching experience (college mostly, and high school private tutoring), but no teaching certification. I read in posts from a few years ago that the easiest US State in which to get teacher certification is Massachusetts -- that for their preliminary license I don't need to student teach, all I need to do is take the MTEL because I already have a Bachelor's degree. I'm wondering if that's still recommended/has anyone done this? I.e. can I use the Preliminary Teaching License from Massachusetts in my applications?

MA Ed Dept Info:
(http://www.mass.gov/edu/government/depa ... reliminary License )

Where I read about the MA license option:
http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/how-to ... l-teacher/

Thanks for your help!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, No, and Heck No (Confusing isnt it).

1) Yes: Its a teachers license and an IS that doesnt look too close will likely accept it.
2) No: For a license to be considered professional in IE it needs to meet two requirements: 1) It needs to be permanent or renewable. 2) It needs to have no deficiencies. The MA preliminary license doesnt meet those conditions.
3) Heck No: Its a 5 year NON-renewable license, and there is no route to transition it to another type of license. You cant transfer it to another state because its considered the equivalent of an MA Temporary Permit.

The issue is none of your teaching experience is recognized teaching experience in K-12, tutoring dosnt count and experience as a tertiary lecturer doesn't count. If you had 2 years of K-12 teaching experience Connecticut is the state to go though since you wouldnt have to complete an ITT/EPP and the initial certificate with renewals is valid up to 18 years (initial issuance of 3 years plus 5 renewals each of 3 years).

The best option is to apply for the Massachusetts preliminary certificate and then apply for QTS in the UK, and hope you slip though the cracks, as eligibility for QTS requires a permanent (or at least renewable) certificate. Once you have QTS you can use it to apply to D.C. for a regular level II 4 year renewable teaching qualification.

www.gov.uk/qualified-teacher-status-qts
pippipip

Re: Anyone have Preliminary Teacher Certificate from MA?

Post by pippipip »

QTS now requires you to have the appropriate evidence mailed to them. It's more than 15 minutes on a computer filling in an online application. MA will not say that a provisional is a full certification, so you're stuck. It's better to knuckle down and push through two years of teaching in state than to make the jump before being fully certified.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@pippipip

NTC has always had that requirement, its just a print out of your certificate from your states DOE.