student teach overseas or at home?

k1ttycat

student teach overseas or at home?

Post by k1ttycat »

I am in a MAT program for Special Education, planning to student teach next year. I grew up overseas, attending international schools, and ultimately I would like to teach overseas. I am trying to decide whether to student teach overseas, an option offered by my school, or to student teach at home in Chicago. If I student teach in Chicago, it might be easier to get a job, and two years experience here. It would be easier overall really. Do you think that student teaching overseas might increase my chances of getting a job at an international school without the two years experience (assuming I do a good job)? Would student teaching overseas better prepare me for teaching in international schools? Any advice/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
sid

Re: student teach overseas or at home?

Post by sid »

I don't often recommend this route, but with your prior experience overseas, you'd be great doing your student teaching overseas. It can be a pathway to a job within that IS, and if that's what you ultimately want, why not? Take it on, build and work your network, and earn yourself a job!
k1ttycat

Post by k1ttycat »

Thanks Sid! It's nice to hear that student teaching overseas might be a pathway to a job. If I am unable to find a job overseas, do you think that having completed my student teaching overseas might make it more difficult to get a job in the US?
sid

Post by sid »

I know much more about international hiring than I do US hiring, but I don't think it would be an issue.