40 applications, still no job

scoobysue

40 applications, still no job

Post by scoobysue »

Is it perhaps time for me to get the hint & give up? ;)

Since Easter, I've sent around 40 applications, had about 10 interviews, but only one offer. I turned the offer down because I heard bad reports about the school. I'm secondary English, 7 years of overseas teaching, applying mostly to schools in Europe.
heyteach

Re: 40 applications, still no job

Post by heyteach »

It's pretty late to apply for a new job, though jobs do come up even at good schools because of the PsyGuys and Higgsbosons of the international teaching community. I understand Europe is notoriously hard to break into--can you cast your net somewhat wider? Maybe eastern Europe instead of northern? Or even a different continent?

You sound qualified, but speaking from experience, there seem to be more English teachers than jobs (although most if not all schools employ them). You were smart to turn down an offer that didn't feel right. Don't settle for just anything, but don't give up either. Get a good Plan B into place.
scoobysue

Post by scoobysue »

Thank you :) It's difficult to keep motivated to apply when receiving rejection after rejection.

I'm kind of hoping there are now around 40 fewer competitors applying than there were before, because they all got the jobs from those applications where I wasn't successful. So I'm hoping to find somewhere to stay till retirement, because I turned 40 this year, hence the hesitation to venture outside Europe. That, and a very horrible past experience of working in the Middle East.

Nonetheless, I'll cast the net wider if I'm still looking in a month or so.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

At this point in time you need to start looking in Asia, especially China. EUR domestic schools are looking at this time of year but you wont get much of an OSH package, one way airfare and whatever the national social insurance program offers.
Bij Bam

Re: Response

Post by Bij Bam »

PsyGuy wrote:
> At this point in time you need to start looking in Asia, especially China.
> EUR domestic schools are looking at this time of year but you wont get much
> of an OSH package, one way airfare and whatever the national social
> insurance program offers.

Gee, and what's wrong with that? That's what most people live on, isn't it? Paying their own rent and insurances etc. Of course it's nice to get extras being an international teacher and all, but if you're going to make it a requirement, then you're narrowing down your search big time. But if that's what you want, please, be my guest and flock to Asia. It just means better chances for us who prefer to stay in Europe.

Scoobysue: if you prefer to stay in Europe (like me), don't worry too much yet. I know people will keep telling you that the big recruiting season is from October to January, but the fact of the matter is that in many European countries, by law you can still terminate your contract at three, sometimes even two months notice. Which means that for us, the recruiting season is far from over.
scoobysue

Post by scoobysue »

Just a quick update for those who may later find themselves in a similar situation: I was offered, and accepted, a job in Europe last Friday.

Thank you, Bij Bam, for being the voice of reason. :) I definitely prefer to be in Europe and would have lived with not having a job before I'd look at places like Asia or the ME. Just my preference. I'm not massively money-motivated. So long as I can pay my rent & bills, go out from time to time, and travel a bit during the holidays, I'm content. Retirement's a long way off (25-30 years), and it's pretty much provided for.

I just hope I like my new place: job hunting is horrible. ;)
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Congratulations! A good illustration for not settling.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

Congratulations! Thanks for the update.
Wordsmith

Post by Wordsmith »

TEACHERS, I am in a similar situation: 10 years of teaching secondary English, BA/MA/Credential, one year Fulbright teaching abroad, sent out about 40 resumes last year to schools in Europe. I contacted schools directly and didn't hire ISS or Search. I had no job offers.

I have no IB experience and a wife and two kids ages 3 and 7.

I am undecided how much more effort I should put into finding a job at an American International school in Europe. Does the lack of IB experience and the two kids wreck my chances? Any insights on exactly what European schools want and don't want?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I don't believe not having IB experience is the issue. Of course schools would like it if you are trained but its not unheard of to get hired and then trained. I think the bigger issues focuses on your dependents and geography. Is your wife a teacher? If not then that makes your job search that much more difficult, though not impossible. Secondly, if you are set on Europe then that is obviously where you should focus your energies, however if international education is the goal then you should broaden your search criteria. In my opinion there are far too many schools out there to limit yourself to only Europe.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Wordsmith, English teachers are common. And everybody wants to go to Europe. Most, however, want to go without 3 dependents that the single employed person in the family has to support. My advice would be to spread your net far and wide - by all means include Europe - and see what happens.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not so much IB, its that your like every other tourist teacher with a family, who wants to spend a couple years in Europe giving the kids some culture, and letting the wife experience the European living.
Youre an English/Lit IT which there are plenty of and you have 2 kids and trailing spouse. Except for elite tier ISs, you wouldnt be able to support a family on a single salary, since most WE salaries are very average and you get no housing or other allowances. You would starve on one income with a family of 4. The other side of that coin is that the AISs are very, very competitive, you dont just walk into one of those ISs, because you want to and think you are an awesome teacher.
Tess

Post by Tess »

Congratulations!

In case you have a friend or colleague looking for job and willing to relocate to Abu Dhabi, Al Ain or Western Region, kindly forward them to me.

We have interviews mid-november for January intake. I can avail more details for anyone willing to relocate.