Alternative Licensure to Teaching in Korea?

jdurey

Alternative Licensure to Teaching in Korea?

Post by jdurey »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum!

I live in South Korea with my family (Korean wife and two kids) and we plan to stay here long-term. I have been teaching ESL/EFL for the past 12 years and have a Masters in TESL. I have been looking into Alternative Licensure Programs like "TEACH NOW" and "teacher ready," in which I can take coursework online while doing a student teaching practicum. The Teach Now program would require that I work as a student teacher for the last 3 months of the program. The teacher ready program requires its students to work with a mentor at a school for 2 - 3 hours per week for 9 months. Both programs would accept student teaching at an international school.

How likely am I to find an international school in Korea that would allow me to do student teaching there with a mentor? I heard that Big Heart Christian School in Jukjeon may accept student teachers, and am still awaiting a reply from them.

I plan to test into teaching History or Social Studies. It seems that most schools hire their ESL teachers as contract labor.

Any advice you could give me about teaching in International Schools in Korea, or finding a "sponsor" for my teaching certificate program would be much appreciated.
munybse

Re: Alternative Licensure to Teaching in Korea?

Post by munybse »

Send Teacher Ready and email and they can put you in contact with people in Korea that have done the program and where they did their student teaching. I know they have a facebook page too. There were several people in Korea in my practicum that recently finished.
cdn

Post by cdn »

Call the school. My school accepts them. Granted, I don't think they will take on everyone but I know of at least 3 there now or that are coming in soon. Or ask around among friends. If you know someone or are an acquaintance of someone who works there, they might take you on.
wt2015

Post by wt2015 »

You might try the International School of Koje. Just be sure they have a certified U.S. teacher that could serve as your mentor. It's a very family friendly school.