Vienna Austria?

sstourle

Vienna Austria?

Post by sstourle »

I have been offered a 3 year contract in Vienna Austria. I am Australian. The chance to work in Europe would be amazing.

School is great, conditions great. Pay is Horrible. 40000 Euros. I will have enough to travel, have a nice life and save very little.

I was curious to get some thoughts from people who have chosen Europe to live in Europe. Is the lifestyle worth the lack of ability to save money.

Has anyone lived in Vienna. Is it all its cracked up to be. Im single and active so it sounds great. Very overwhelmed right now.

Any imput would be appreciated.
bananas

Re: Vienna Austria?

Post by bananas »

I lived in Europe and made about that much. It helped to have a spouse who earned some extra doing online marketing but it was nice to be so close to all of Europe. Things will be tight but you can make it work, it is certainly cheaper than having to fly from Australia every time you want to visit a new country!
twimih

Post by twimih »

Congratulations!
I taught in Europe (another country, though) for many years, left for many years, hated being away, and will return later this year. I won't leave again!
It simply comes down to quality of life vs money saved. If you don't have to save or pay off debts, definitely go and enjoy yourself. If you do have to save or pay debts, can you put it off for three years? Living there is worth the experience. Then you can leave, make more money somewhere else, and return later. It's interesting how much easier it is to get a job in Europe once you've already been there.
For me, the quality of life is definitely worth it.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Hi sstourle,
Congratulations on your job offer. I'd say go for it. I also worked in Europe for about that wage. No, I didn't save (although I was living in a more expensive place than Vienna) but I don't have any debts - however I did have enough to have a good time which is more important to me! You will still be able to travel all over Europe with that salary. Personally I also really like Austria. If you're an outdoorsy type, it would be fun. Vienna can be a bit quiet sometimes but Budapest is only 3 hrs or so away by train and Bratislava half that.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

What else is included in your package? Do you get flights, housing, insurance and any other perks? My wife and lived nearby with children and we lived well on 55000 Euros combined but we had housing, insurance, flights and a yearly bonus on top of that.

Vienna is definitely worth the experience. It is by far my favorite European city, although that's like picking your favorite uncle, and there is tons to do and see. One of the best parts of Europe is that you don't have to fly everywhere on holiday, you can own a car and drive, there are the trains and cheap airlines. Life can be expensive however, but if you can adjust your lifestyle to fit your income the experience would be great.

I am definitely jealous. Good luck!
sstourle

Post by sstourle »

Thankyou for your responses guys.

Very helpful.

I passed on the offer in the end. A variety of reasons but mainly financial.

I am new at this and I can't believe how quickly your life can change with this career. In a matter of days you could be on your way to a new continent. WOW!

Now i have the same decision with Moscow Russia. This is tough. ha ha.