Speculative applications/expressions of interest

Schmedz

Speculative applications/expressions of interest

Post by Schmedz »

Does anyone actually ever get a post based on submitting one of these? Is it really worthwhile to do one?
Schmedz

Re: Speculative applications/expressions of interest

Post by Schmedz »

Forgot to tick 'notify of reply' in first message. Ignore this :-)
DeDee

Post by DeDee »

I sent out many of these and received responses back that ranged from- we have no openings at this time, we'll add you to our pool of applicants, we would like to set up an interview with you, and no response at all. This was my first time applying for an international position. I signed up with ISS but sent out cover letters and resumes, completed applications on schools, and clicked the interested button on ISS. I accepted a job from a school to whom I randomly sent out a cover letter and resume.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I have never gotten a response back from a school I clicked on "Interested in" on ISS or Search.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

I'm talking about direct applications to schools, not using a recruitment database (or recruitment agency at all). I have noticed a number of school websites invite EOIs and speculative applications. Just wondering how much notice (if any) they take of the applications they have invited :-)
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Oh, in that case, yes. I've gotten everything from no reply, to interviews, to 2nd interviews from some of the schools I've directly applied to via their websites. Last two jobs I've accepted have been from schools that contacted me, however, after finding me on SEARCH or ISS.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Yes, me too. I sent out mass applications to schools that I got from SEARCH and schools that were not posted with SEARCH, but that I had their email address and their contact info. for.
The replies ranged from "thanks but no thanks" to Skype interviews.
I liked the comfort of SEARCH--knowing that some schools I was applying for were hiring at least.
I secured an admin post with a job that was posted through SEARCH.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I have never attended a job fair and I have never taken advantage of the recruiter databases. I have still managed to send my resume, cover letter to random schools and get replies. Sometimes, I have even asked for tips on how to improve my application to certain schools that I really want to work at in the future. I have received jobs at four different international schools this way.

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/
Bij Bam

Post by Bij Bam »

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm doing that for the first time this year. So far no positive replies yet, but we'll keep it up!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Would be very interesting to hear a recruiters opinion on this. Some more thoughts:

Are there regional differences? (I´m thinking about sending a few out to European schools)

I´m guessing it would be a more useful strategy for some countries than others, considering that schools often by law have to advertise openings. Anyone know if there is often a similar difference between private and public schools?

Would you tailor the applications to the schools individually? (would make an already time consuming effort with little chance of success even more time consuming)

Would you follow up with a phone call?

If it is indeed a good idea, how long will it be relevant for? (should you send a new one after one year or two years?)