thinking about China? READ THIS...

klooste

Re: thinking about China? READ THIS...

Post by klooste »

Why is limited English considered a disadvantage? And moreover, why do some people advocate for English being the language of convenience? After all, we are guests in China. Why do we expect Chinese people to cater to us? I say we (as foreigners) should try to assimilate ourselves into the environment.

I am by no means arguing that everyone who goes to China should learn to speak Chinese, but its not difficult to write down a few common phrases, and at least make an effort to use the language-- especially if you're in a place where English is scarce. I am basically saying this: I don't think it's reasonable to expect one of the world's richest, and most historical cultures to bend the knee just to cater to some western international teachers. Its not going to happen. Instead, we need to do our best to adapt. For some people adapting is too difficult, but some are Asian at heart.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Man, have I ever assimilated. You should see me push my way onto elevators, subways, and buses. I can hock a loo is like no one's business. I know how to scream at ???? like a native to get what I want. I know not to drink cold water because it will give me diarrhea. I realize non-smoking signs are merely suggestions. I give ??to my neighborhood guards so they won't hassle me when I don't have my pass card.

My Chinese friends tell me,”????????”
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

eion_padraig wrote:
> Man, have I ever assimilated. You should see me push my way onto elevators,
> subways, and buses. I can hock a loo is like no one's business. I know how
> to scream at ???? like a native to get what I want. I know not to drink
> cold water because it will give me diarrhea. I realize non-smoking signs
> are merely suggestions. I give ??to my neighborhood guards so they won't
> hassle me when I don't have my pass card.
>
> My Chinese friends tell me,”????????”

I hear you! It's taken me more than a year to fix my China behavior. I have really controlled my spitting and pushing. It's still so strange to encounter so many polite smiling English speaking people here in our new Asian country. Seems like a distant dream, China.
sassylassie

Post by sassylassie »

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for providing detailed information. I found it quite helpful! :)
erix

Post by erix »

These points do represent a bad case scenario when teaching in China, but while the OP's situation (Canadian curriculum school starting as an international department of a Chinese school) is common in China, it's not an international school per se. Western calendar, scheduled holidays, etc are the norm in schools that have been accredited, independent international schools.

One rule of thumb in identifying whether your offer is coming from an 'international school' or an 'international department' is to ask where the students are from. Most international schools are prohibited by the government from enrolling students who don't have a foreign passport. If the answer is '98% Chinese', you are going to be working for a Chinese company, subject to Chinese calendar, HR norms, etc. International schools, especially those that have been accredited, are accountable to the expectations of their international families and international staff.

Oh also always look at your contract before you sign it, as holidays should be stipulated?!
kuwaitikid

Post by kuwaitikid »

I worked for one year in Shanghai and would tend to agree with most of your posting here. China is not for everyone and I feel you will either love or hate it, that said some people can live happily there for several years so it depends on the individual at the end of the day.
over_here

Post by over_here »

Agree with most of the points about China. A word of warning when it comes to schools. Choose your school carefully and look at the management structure, principal and teacher turnover and benefits packages. One school I recently looked at had a teaching turnover of 90% and a new principal every year. Some schools only offer medical insurance that covers you in less expensive facilities in China only and teaching days can vary between schools i.e. 180 - 195 days. Some schools are more like language schools than 'international in flavor and students move on fast as soon as their English has improved. Shanghai and Beijing are amazing places to live and work but some of the small provincial cities have little to offer apart from bad pollution and few social outlets. Yes, China is exciting but choose your school with care.