DoDEA Newbie with questions...

jdcovi2

DoDEA Newbie with questions...

Post by jdcovi2 »

Good afternoon,

I have applied for a job with the DoDEA in hopes of getting a job in Europe. I am married with two newborn twin daughters. My wife is a stay at home mom. I am curious about my chances for finding a job in Europe. My questions are: 1. Do I have any chance or a good chance of finding placement? and 2. What can I do to stand out with the DoDEA?

Here are my qualifications:

-KY State certified for grades 5-12 in Social Studies
-4 yrs teaching experience in an Urban, Title 1 school in Lexington, KY
-Taught all grade levels 9-12 all 4 yrs.
-4yrs teaching experience in the Academy of Information Technology, a small academy teaching experience
-4yrs teaching experience in AP U.S. Government and AP Comparative Government (certified to teach both)
-Undergrauate degree in History and Political Science, Masters of Arts in Education, and 34 hours toward my doctorate in Educational Leadership with an emphasis in Instructional Technology/Instructional Design
-120+ hours of Professional Development in Cooperative Learning, STEM instructional design, AP Training, Classroom Managment, Cross Curricular Design, School/Community Partnerships, Portfolio Assessments, Literacy Design Collaborative for writing, etc...
-Continuous Instructional Improvement Technology (CIITS) Administrator for our building of 2,000+ students
-Experience teaching short term camps in Berlin, Germany and remote villages in Tanzania
-Have been with the same teaching position the entire time, have held an additional job with relevant experience for 6 years in addition to teaching

My wife and I are willing to travel to anywhere in Europe and Guam. We hesitate to go to some of the Asian countries because we are not sure about healthcare for our daughters as they were born premature, and we want to be prepared for anything that could arise with them. Any thoughts on my chances and how I can stand out from other applicants or get my foot in the door?

Thank you in advance for any help or information you can offer!
shadowjack

Re: DoDEA Newbie with questions...

Post by shadowjack »

Last year DoDEA did a major reduction in force for their schools. I suspect that you can apply, but likely won't get called. Again, they will also give extra "points" to retired military who have gone into teaching.

Is your wife a teacher by any chance?
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

Apply, but don't hold your breath. I'm not sure if those austerity measures that kicked in last year after congress failed to pass a budget agreement are still in place, but there was very little hiring, if any, done at DODEA schools last year. (Can't recall what the measures were called, but basically amounted to a hiring freeze.) Also, history/social studies teachers are not in high demand. You'll join the back of a list of thousands of other applicants. I taught history internationally, wanted to work for DODEA, so returned to the USA to get my SPED certification. Something that was, prior to the hiring freeze/drawdown, a very high demand area for those schools. I'm also classified as physically disabled, which puts me at the top of the list. I got zero offers or interest. Finally, Europe is the last stop for teachers who have been working at DODEA schools for years. You'll usually begin in South Korea, or Japan, IF you get a job offer, then have to work your way up the ladder to the sweet gigs in Europe. In the best of times those jobs are as rare as hens' teeth. Teachers, once there, tend not to leave until they retire. Openings, when they happen, are filled internally by looking at DODEA teachers or trailing spouses of military members first.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Yes, the odds are against you but It's not quite that bleak. Even last year with having to place 200 (or so, I forget the exact number) of excess teachers, hiring was in fact done. I don't know the exact number but there were like 4 on my post (in Europe btw) and I heard about quite a few others in district. If you were to extrapolate that out to the rest of Europe and Asia then there were still quite a few opportunities during a very bad year for hiring.

This year they will still be offering incentives to leave/retire and there will be fewer excess teachers due to closing schools. So, why not throw your hat in the ring. Just don't use it as a Plan A to get yourself overseas.
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

Where are the postings for DODEA in Europe nowadays? Used to be mainly Germany and a few in Italy.