A week after interview and still no answer, normal?

Novice

A week after interview and still no answer, normal?

Post by Novice »

I was short-listed, then skyped and finally interviewed last week. The principal told me I was a firm candidate and that they would let me know within a week if I had been successful, however it has been a week and I haven't received an email or a phone call from the school yet. Is this normal? Do international schools ring you to tell you the outcome of their decision? Should I call/ email them asking them if they have recruited for the position? I am well qualified, I have a good degree, PGCE, MSc and experience being educated and working overseas. I just started seriously looking for jobs abroad after 5 years teaching A level and GCSE in the UK. Any comments, suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Nomads

Re: A week after interview and still no answer, normal?

Post by Nomads »

Schools almost always contact the finalists with the outcome generally with an emailIf it has gone past a week they may have offered the position to another candidate and are waiting to her the other person's decision.

You can contact them if you want, but they obviously have your information and will contact you if they want to offer you a position.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

This happened to me on two separate occasions this recruiting season. With one school, they told me that they would know the direction they were taking by the first third of January, and even gave me a friendly "just so you know, we're still working on it" message via skype. A week after the date he gave me, I made my "inquiry" by politely thanking them for connecting me with a teacher who helped answer questions for me. The principal got back with me to say that they were still looking. In the end, they held off too long and we had already accepted positions. I don't think we were going to be offered contracts, but who knows.

The second school was the school we ended up signing with. We interviewed with them in early December and never heard back. They got back to us halfway through January to set up another interview and we were shortly after offered contracts. A week before, we had thought they were long gone.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Thank you guys. It's my first attempt. I sent applications to ten schools and was short listed for two. One is the school in question in the original post, the other interview is next month. Hopefully, the second school will be more transparent and professional in their recruiting process.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Hiya
Nothing wrong with emailng them, asking what the status is. If they want you, they will be impressed with your take charge attitude, and if they dont, it wont matter anyway.
Bottom line--what do you have to lose?
Email them ONCE asking them and then leave it.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Hi guys,

They emailed back saying that they were still putting the team together and that I was very much in thier thoughts during this process. They asked me to give them another week, hopefully by then things would be clearer. They are quite polite, I had a good feeling during interviews. I am just used to the UK system, where decisions are made just hours after the interview. Will update whatever the resolution.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Thats great Novice...so you emailed them first? Nerve-wrecking stuff for sure! Keep us posted.
Novice

Post by Novice »

No, they contacted me. I will let you know how it goes.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Got the job! Exciting (scary) news! I start next Sept! Thank you for the advice guys x
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Novice: CONGRATULATIONS...and it IS exciting and scary at the same time, isnt it? Be prepared for mixed reviews from family/friends...but stand firm in your desire for adventure and to live life a bit differently. :)
Rye

Post by Rye »

That's great Novice! Congrats!

It was interesting - I have no stress about hearing from domestic jobs but for this one the waiting for an answer about killed me from the international school I ended up signing with. I didn't take local holidays into account and the days piled up. I guess the anticipation of a career and personal move like this started the butterflies in the stomach again for me.

Either way, congratulations again and good luck!