MLS International Saudi Arabia

Chica05

MLS International Saudi Arabia

Post by Chica05 »

I am new to international teaching and will be attending my first job fair soon. A recruiter from MLS International has expressed interest and would like to interview me. Has anyone on here had any experience with this school or is working there now? It does not have any reviews on the ISR site. Any information would help. Thanks!
shadowjack

Re: MLS International Saudi Arabia

Post by shadowjack »

MLS is a smaller school in Riyadh. My friends who have worked there liked it. Riyadh is not the easiest place to live, but there is lots to do if you seek it out. It won't come looking for you.

You can do worse than this.

shad
Chica05

Post by Chica05 »

So I got the job and am a few months in to teaching at MLS and I absolutely love it! It is indeed a small school, but probably the best elementary school in Riyadh. We use a US curriculum, including Lucy Calkins and Everyday Math, and Conscious Discipline for behavior. The salary and benefits are generous. The housing is very nice and is available in one of three different locations: in the DQ, in a huge house in a small villa, or on Al Bustan compound. Unlike a lot of schools in the gulf region, the parents do not rule the school. Many royals do send their children here and generally seem to value education very highly.

That being said, for a lot of people Riyadh is a hard place to adjust to. I am a muslim and actually made Saudi Arabia my first choice when looking for a school. For a lot of people however, Riyadh is not for them. Do a lot of research on the lifestyle and culture before making a commitment to any school here.

Since this school is sanctioned through the Ministry of Education for girls, only women may work here. Wives cannot sponsor a visa for their husband to stay with them, so the job would be most ideal for a single lady. Many people working here have husbands at home or husbands who also work in Saudi.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You likely work with friends of mine - names withheld :-) - they are fab teachers! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. There are many things I miss about Riyadh...and I am non-Muslim. But you are right - it is not for everybody. Congrats on finding a gem of a school!