How do I get started?

neveah

How do I get started?

Post by neveah »

I have a B.A. in English. I am also certified to teach language arts for grades 8-12. I would like to teach overseas next year, but I can't attend the job fairs because I can't afford it. I have no desire to teach in American public schools because the educational system is messed up and the government does nothing to improve it. How can I accomplish my goal when I have nothing to start with?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Hello,
I paid for a subscription to www.tieonline.com. Best money I ever spent. I put my resume online there and emailed some of the schools listing jobs and got dozens of emails and calls. I got my current job overseas without ever attending a job fair (or going to an interview in person). I agree that as June gets closer, the schools get more desperate.
:D
fran

I'm on Live Teacher Recruiting

Post by fran »

I have had limited luck with Tie in the past. They claim there are 1000s of resumes on the site. As far as I can see this reducs my chances of getting seen. I did try the Live Teacher Recruiting site and have received two emails from directors that look to have promise. I'll let you all know how it goes. It was bit of a chore to put my resume and photo on the site and then to make a recording. I do like the idea of the site and one of the directors told me he thought I had the right personality for the school. I assume he listened to my recording. It can't hurt to check it out since you don't have a lot of money to spend and this site is free. You can find it at
www.liveteacherrecruiting.com

Have fun overseas.
neveah

Post by neveah »

Thanks for the advice! :)

I have another question now.
Where can I get the microphone to complete a recording session? How much does it cost? I don't have internet access at home. I will borrow someone else's computer if I can. I would like to rent one since I can't afford to buy one. I know that some stores let you rent appliances, so why not elecronics? I would also like to rent a digital camera for my photos.
fran

Live Teacher Recruiting

Post by fran »

Hi Again,

I got a microphone for three dollars at the computer store. It's just one of those little things that you use with a computer. I don't know much about computers but I followed the instructions in the tutorial part of the site and was able to do it the first time. It's pretty straight forward. You will need an internet connection to put your resume and sound and photo on the site. Hope this helps you some.
neveah

Post by neveah »

Thanks once again. Since I don't have internet access, I can't record anything. I guess that I'll just have to join tieonline and take my chances. I hope it works out.
specialed

Post by specialed »

I had a great experience with Tieonline and you also get access to the newspaper with international teaching articles as well as job openings. I just checked the job openings online and their are loads. I would also post your resume. I got responses within a day so I'm not sure about the comment that there are 1000's of resumes posted. If so someone did a lot of reading to get down to mine! A lot of places are hiring before the job fairs and most advertise on tieonline.

Hope this helps and good luck!
neveah

Post by neveah »

The last post has given me hope. I'm nervous about joining the website because I have to pay with a credit card. I'll go ahead and take the chance if I can get a decent job quickly.