Search Associates

Rover

Post by Rover »

Just a thought - Should you really pay a recruiter to find you a job? Shouldn't they be getting their money from the employer like most recruitment consultants? Or are International Schools that different?

Just an idea. Do you really need them if you contact schools directly? For example isn't it also possible (but less easy I admit) to arrange face-to-face interviews with schools outside the fairs?
watcher

Post by watcher »

[quote="Rover"]Just a thought - Should you really pay a recruiter to find you a job? Shouldn't they be getting their money from the employer like most recruitment consultants? Or are International Schools that different?

Just an idea. Do you really need them if you contact schools directly? For example isn't it also possible (but less easy I admit) to arrange face-to-face interviews with schools outside the fairs?[/quote]

Absolute rubbish the search people. getting cash from teachers and shoddy schools-total ripoff!
trocadero

Search Associates

Post by trocadero »

I have had a great experience with Rob Graham, in Australia. As a parent of three school-aged children, with a non-teaching husband, I was unsure about my possibilities overseas. Rob thought my resume made me quite marketable, and he was right. Ultimately, I got two job interviews and subsequent offers from Search Associate schools in Asia, before the Fair, (and had a prinpical from the Middle East ask if he could interview me before the fair) so I didn't get to go, but Rob certainly earned my registration fee.

He was a great resource the whole way. I constantly asked his advice about what to do, how to prepare, what to expect, etc. He was always extremely helpful, with prompt responses to my emails. I asked him all sorts of questions, and he was great. My whole family is about to move to Asia, with a great package, and if the time comes to find another position overseas, I will absolutely use SA again.
Beemarcus

What do you teach?

Post by Beemarcus »

Wow, with three school age kids and a non teaching spouse, I must say you are fortunate, or well trained, or likely both. May I ask what it is you teach-or what credentials you have? Good for you.
rwalrath

SA success...

Post by rwalrath »

I've posted elsewhere on this topic, but I wanted to put in that my wife and I are both registered with SA through Sally Gordon, and are happy with the support we've received. I did pull out of the fair this year simply because I decided to stay with my current system for at least one more year, but my wife was offered a job at the Bethesda fair, and is just waiting for her contract as I scribble.
Why hire a headhunter? Simple: they provide the avenue to sell yourself, and do it easier than it is by yourself. Yes, if one is energetic and doesn't mind the work, one can always land stuff on one's own-I'm living proof of that, but it is lots of work. I consider SA's fees VERY reasonable, seeing what they do that I would have to do myself: finding the vacancies, maintaining the paperwork, bothering my references at least 5 times a week to send yet another confidential reference to x and y school, tracking when vacancies occur, flying to ten or twenty different schools for an interview. (no, they're not paying me!)
Off soapbox.
bedouin

Search Associates Experience

Post by bedouin »

I found SA to be more helpful at the fair itself, and I agree with you about vague emails that get increasingly more vague with each question you ask!

Once at the fair and I was able to access my advisor and indeed the others as well they were always forthcoming with good advice and information, almost to the point of over-helplful at times. They certainly were accessible and available, and some candidates did take full advantage by using them to help negotiate with prospective schools. Then again some of my friends barely spoke with any of the SA staff and still came away with jobs. Swings and roundabouts!