Certification vs. Master's degree

Me

Certification vs. Master's degree

Post by Me »

I have been teaching ESL at an International school for 3 years. I am ESL certified, but I am not a licensed teacher in the U.S. I taught at 2 other schools (unaccredited) prior to this one. I would like to move from teaching ESL to teaching in the mainstream elementary classroom. I have been working on my Master?s degree in Education and have taken advantage of all of the professional development activities that I could.
We are thinking of moving on next year, but I am worried that I will have a difficult time finding a position without licensure. We thought about going back to the U.S. so I can complete a teacher training program, but we would really rather not do this.
Will some schools hire me with just a Master?s degree?
Are there any programs where I can get licensure without returning to the US?
If it helps, we are a teaching couple who have lived and taught abroad for 5 years in 2 different countries. My spouse is a licensed high school teacher and will also have a Master?s of Education.
You

Post by You »

I think some of the larger on-line universities offer certification (Univ. of Phoenix, Walden). I've also heard that Goddard College has a program where you may be able to work on a distance basis.
jody

Teching Cert

Post by jody »

To be honest many schools hire un certified teachers if they have useful experience and or a certified spouse. My experience overseas (since 1990) has taught me that a certified US public school teacher is not always the best and most successful choice for an International school- especially one that does IB or IGCSE . Indeed in UK curriculum schools certification would be second to experience and degree. Considering that there are, it seems more jobs then candidates recently, I would give it a chance.