How to best stand out to International Schools via internet?

Miss.S

How to best stand out to International Schools via internet?

Post by Miss.S »

Hello everybody,

I know this is probably not an optimal time of the year to be researching for a contract but I am realistically planning to begin teaching this January 2012 (sooner would be better but not likely.)

I had offers to begin working abroad this August but unfortunately and due to no fault of my own the contract I selected was canceled. Instead of being jaded at the prospect of international teaching I have decided to give my prospects one more go.

I am a first year teacher with a MA in Education---all subjects upper primary and secondary. I am waiting for my official certification. I am American but would like a placement in western Europe e.g Germany at an international school; I know this is difficult but not impossible. I am perfecting my German at the moment.

My question is: what is the best way to approach international schools that recruit for teachers year round or otherwise have vacancies. How can I make myself stand out?

I have my own website that includes my resume, references and sample lesson plans. Of course I also have the ability to attach these things to an email.

I am also planning on customizing my cover letter for each position.

Thank you :)
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

To be honest, I'd be a little worried about accepting a position at a school that hires year-round. One has to wonder why they are. Certainly, there are exceptions and the occasional rare need for last minute replacements, but if I school is consistently looking for new people, it isn't a good sign.
Miss.S

Re: Clarification

Post by Miss.S »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Europe this time of year is hard, that fact that you ahve no experience will make it even more so. My confusion is when you claim you have certification in all subjects K-12, I'm not aware of a State that has an all level all subject certification???? However, typically in such situations where a country doesn't have specific subject certifications, a teacher typically needs a degree, major, or certain length of college course work to be considered for a position.

Honestly, your a newbie and "waiting for your certification" still may have been the issue with your previous contract. In my years of experience I have heard of very few teachers with no experience that start off in western europe. I'd say it doesnt happen, as those school require a minimum of 2 years experience (and many of the elite schools, want 5). I highly doubt that you would be considered certified in "everything".[/quote]

If only my pending certification was the issue with my last contract. It was a matter of descrimination for which they took blame and I was esentially bought out of my contract. No this last contract was not in Europe or North America. It was a horrible situation that I still find emotionally painful.

I am American but trained in Australia. My actual training is actually in Secondary and Upper primary education. The focus and official degree title was in special education and social studies but I have also taught other topics. To kids between 11-19 years old. I also have minor early childhood training. My teacher training was in the form of a 2 year MA in Education.

I agree with you. Obtaining work in Europe will be a long shot, but believe it or not I do have a friend---same degree and same amount of experience as myself who has been working in Germany for about a year now. I figure I could at least try. :D