Does anyone have information about NET public schools in HK?

season4greatness

Does anyone have information about NET public schools in HK?

Post by season4greatness »

Does anyone know if NET schools in Hong Kong supports the Teacher's Bill of Rights?
calliope

Post by calliope »

No, in no way do they...in fact I highly doubt a Hong Kong school would even know what a bill of rights was.
Each local HK school is a law unto itself. They can make you work 70 hours a week if they so desire.
Psyguy, if you have no idea, you really shouldn't guess.
calliope

Post by calliope »

Then PsyGuy you're clearly unaware of the schools that start at 7.30 and go til 5, throw in Saturday as well, oh and sometimes an appearance at a religious ceremony on Sunday morning, oh and a staff meeting held entirely in Cantonese for 4 hours after school and let me see....thats around 55/56 hours...what I said is that a HK Principal can make you stay there at school for however long he wants. The HK EDB has NO jurisdiction over conditions in HK local schools and wouldnt dare to presume to take a HK Principal or a School Board to task over such goings on.
You have no idea what goes on in MANY local schools.
calliope

Post by calliope »

Letter in today's South China Morning Post 18/9/11

I have recently arrived from Britain and taken a teaching position in a Hong Kong school.

Prior to my arrival I had been made aware of the stress suffered by teachers, but only after my first week at work did I actually come to understand why these levels of stress exist.

I have taught in a number of countries but have never come across a situation where teachers need to sleep at their desks between lessons. From my discussions with teachers working in other schools it seems that this is not uncommon.

It is no wonder teachers are stressed and tired, as they work exceptionally long hours and have very little time to relax and unwind. I have also been told by my school that all the teachers are required to work both Saturday and Sunday twice during the coming year.

I thought that labour laws in Hong Kong set a minimum of one rest day in a seven-day cycle, but it seems schools are allowed to ignore these.

When teachers are forced to work eight hours on Saturday and Sunday it places great stress on them, as their week is now 12 days long. If they have two of these in a row the number of days without a break can stretch to 20 days.

When will schools wake up and realise that tired teachers are ineffective teachers. It's time to put an end to modern day slavery.

Tamara Kiew, Fanling

Yes, it seems that your 'experiiences' in HK schools have been different from most other peoples.