What about protection of principals?

Guest 2

What about protection of principals?

Post by Guest 2 »

I am currently working overseas on my first assignment. I left being a principal in the US ( 12 years) after being disgusted that a teacher was reinstated even though she left 6 kindergarteners in her classroom at lunch unsupervised while she left campus to buy her own lunch. It was documented and seen by the entire staff and students as a fire drill was held which she failed to notice. At another school a minority teacher dragged a student down steps pulling his belt and hitting his head. She was seen by 4 teachers. She was promoted to a district director job. Teacher unions protected both of these incompetent teachers. Who is protecting the kids?

While I now have no job security I have much more pleasure at developing a school that wants to make a difference by teaching children crititical thinking skills. If it changes, I can select to move on to another school after 2 years. 5 years at any job research says is the most to have and make any changes, then it should be time for new challenges and growth.
International Educator

Just Curious

Post by International Educator »

I noticed that you felt the need to mention that one of those teachers you wrote about is a "minority". Why did you do that? Does that classification change the magnitude of the act?
As a Principal, are you classifying your staff? Does the recognition of someone as being a "minority" effect your treatment of them or expectations for them?
Looking forward to your honest reply. I am currently doing some research.

Post by Guest »

If the US is anything like the UK, then being a 'minority' is likely to have led to less action over the incident and a bigger chance of promotion!

Re: Just Curious

Post by Guest »

International Educator wrote:I noticed that you felt the need to mention that one of those teachers you wrote about is a "minority". Why did you do that? Does that classification change the magnitude of the act?
As a Principal, are you classifying your staff? Does the recognition of someone as being a "minority" effect your treatment of them or expectations for them?
Looking forward to your honest reply. I am currently doing some research.
The word is AFFECT, not EFFECT
International Educator

Unanswered

Even though my question was not answered, I was not surprised to see that kind of reply. Attempting to deflect attention from such an important issue is counter productive. The "minority" issue is of concern to all of us. I was simply attempting to open a professional discussion.

As for affect vs. effect, I used the word that I meant to use. I was inquiring about a cause and effect relationship not the influencing of emotions as the word affect is used to denote.
Please, lets keep things on a possitive note.

Re: Unanswered

Post by Guest »

No, EFFECT is a noun, AFFECT is a verb. You can "affect" something, or you can have an "effect" on something. Teachers need literacy!
International Educator wrote:Even though my question was not answered, I was not surprised to see that kind of reply. Attempting to deflect attention from such an important issue is counter productive. The "minority" issue is of concern to all of us. I was simply attempting to open a professional discussion.

As for affect vs. effect, I used the word that I meant to use. I was inquiring about a cause and effect relationship not the influencing of emotions as the word affect is used to denote.
Please, lets keep things on a possitive note.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Perhaps you don't have a dictionary handy, or perhaps you have a habit of lashing out without felling the need to research thus revealing your inner self. "Effect" is a verb and means "to cause" or "to cause to happen" as in "to effect change" and is the root of "effective".

Post by Guest »

Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of ?to influence? (how smoking affects health). Effect means ?to bring about or execute." And positive has one S.

Lurker wrote:Perhaps you don't have a dictionary handy, or perhaps you have a habit of lashing out without felling the need to research thus revealing your inner self. "Effect" is a verb and means "to cause" or "to cause to happen" as in "to effect change" and is the root of "effective".
International Educator

Still no reply

Still no reply to the all important question.

As for the raging affect vs. effect debate, perhaps our "Guest" is not used to standard American English.

Again, still waiting on the "minority" reply.
mnolan

Post by mnolan »

In the late 1960's, Dr. Lawrence J. Peter and Raymond Hull published their book on business management, specifically on leadership in the workplace. It was the author's conclusion that individuals rise to their level of incompetence. Thus the coining of the term now known as " The Peter Principle".

Perhaps the "minority " in question was a recipient of this. It has been said by some our current leadership exhibits many of the same qualities here in the USA. It can certainly beappliedto International Education.

As for International education I have seen excellent leadership and very poor leadership. I think that is why a forum like this is a good start to begin looking at our profession globally rather than individual incidents. I would assume that at the end of the day we are all in some agreeement that we are doing this not only for the exotic travel and other opportunities associated but to provide an excellent education for the students we work with.

Dithering on about choice of words really doesn't accomplish anything more than continuing to keep us unorganized. Be honest in what you state and don't couch your statements. If you read something that strikes a nerve wait awhile before responding.
Cheers

Post by Guest »

DITHERING??? Are you certain that is the correct word?
mnolan wrote:In the late 1960's, Dr. Lawrence J. Peter and Raymond Hull published their book on business management, specifically on leadership in the workplace. It was the author's conclusion that individuals rise to their level of incompetence. Thus the coining of the term now known as " The Peter Principle".

Perhaps the "minority " in question was a recipient of this. It has been said by some our current leadership exhibits many of the same qualities here in the USA. It can certainly beappliedto International Education.

As for International education I have seen excellent leadership and very poor leadership. I think that is why a forum like this is a good start to begin looking at our profession globally rather than individual incidents. I would assume that at the end of the day we are all in some agreeement that we are doing this not only for the exotic travel and other opportunities associated but to provide an excellent education for the students we work with.

Dithering on about choice of words really doesn't accomplish anything more than continuing to keep us unorganized. Be honest in what you state and don't couch your statements. If you read something that strikes a nerve wait awhile before responding.
Cheers
womanofmeans

"minority"

Post by womanofmeans »

The only reason "minority" was mentioned is that my observation was that it made a difference in the follow up on discipline for the teacher. The school had a 98% African American student population.The teaching staff was 50% African American and the victim student was African American. The witnesses were all African American and the disciplinary team was African American. I felt saddened that I was powerless over helping the student be safe from this aggression and that the professional teaching standard was not expected of this teacher. I am sure the student as well as all of us who were witnesses will not forget the incident and the lack of a consequence to the teacher.