Non-native English Speakers

Non-native English Speakers

Post by Guest »

I read somewhere in the forum that international schools are not willing to hire non-native speakers, although they may have an excellent command of English.

I will appreciate any input on this, since I am one of those who is bilingual/biliterate.

Thanks in advance.

Yeshim

Speaking English

Post by Guest »

I am now at my 6th school in 15 years overseas. My experience has been that unless you speak English like someone who speaks English as a first language you will not get a job. It makes no sense to hire you and move to a new country when there are plenty of host country nationals with teaching credentials that can speak English well and be hired as local hires at a reduced cost

Parents are paying for their kids to be influenced by native speakers of English and any thing less will soon be questioned by the parents, putting the school in an bad spot. If you speak English on par with a first language speaker I would just go for it and not tell anyone English is not your first language. On the other hand, if it is obvious that you are speaking English as a second language I think I would pass on the international teaching idea, unless you go to a country where they speak your first language and you will be a teacher of that language.
on the go

non native speakers

Post by on the go »

I am a non native English speaker and I have been hired as an elementary homeroom teacher (Grade 3, 4 & 5) by three different schools around the world.

To my surprise, this (the international school bias) has not been an issue for me even though I do make little mistakes when I speak and I do have an accent. I think that what "saved" me is the fact that I am a pretty strong teacher with an excellent training / background experience in bilingual schools and I won't take no as an answer!

When I am interviewed by principals / directors, I always try to emphasize the idea that as a non native speaker I do have a certain advantage over English speaking teachers only as I am a model for the ESL students and I do understand what they are going through. I also try to explain that speaking more than one language is also a plus when it comes to making connections between languages, understanding English as a language, developing vocabulary and teaching literacy in general.

I am sorry to read that it is a problem for so many people and it should not be that way especially not in International Schools offering the IBO/MYP/PYP. As for other schools, well, they have their own agenda!
guest2006

Post by guest2006 »

The international school where I work, well-established and accreditated, has several non-native speakers in different positions, including one teaching middle school English and another teaching History. They are all completely bilingual and while they have accents they all have complete command of the language. As a parent myself, I don't agree that people are necessarily paying for a native speaker teacher. I would prefer my daughter have a dedicated teacher who is interested in her needs who has an accent speaking English rather than an uninterested native speaker. Of course many native speakers are gifted teachers, but being a native speaker doesn't in itself make one an excellent teacher. Let's get away from this native vs. non-native and just look at the teacher's qualifications. If the person's command of English is sufficient to teach properly the issue should stop there; after all we are trying to be "international".
Yes!

Non-Native English Speakers

Post by Yes! »

Guest2006 is right on the mark. Hire good teachers and stop trying to find someone who 'looks' American or Canadian, or whatever that means. My spouse is a native-Spanish speaker and currently teaches Spanish. While he enjoys that very much, he is also qualifed to teach other areas. Will he ever have a shot? Who knows?

We did note a lot of bias at the first fair that we went to several years ago (ISS). While we walked away with a job, I was very disheartened by what I saw and how we were treated by several recruiters. ISS handing out some paper stating that teachers should not be hired based on race, ethnicity, etc. etc. is just rubbish. That may be how it works at home, but there is a lot of bias in 'international' and even 'American' schools.

My husband does have an accent, but so do the other Australians, Brits, Americans, etc. etc. I work with. If you say you are an 'international' school, you should walk to walk and not just talk the talk. Hire qualifed, certified teachers, regardless of where they come from.

Face the facts.

Post by Guest »

Fact 1 - I am from Kenya (African) and I teach informational technology at an International school.

Fact 2 - I have the same terms and conditions as other expatriate teachers (majority from Britain) coming from canada, USA , France, Uganda, Jamaica, Turkey and India.

Suggestion 1 - Any school with a policy on hiring from 'native english speaking ...... ' is out of touch with modern positive internationalism and is not worth taking your kid to or looking for a job in !

Suggestion 2 - IB offered curriculum is undoubtly one of the best , if not the best in the world AND to rap it all IBO takes serious reservation on any school hiring on the basis of 'must be native .....' so look for good IB world schools.
milofischer

native speakers

Post by milofischer »

It doesn't matter what the recruiters or directors want. It matters what the principals want. I have seen people sacked - from PE teachers to pre-school teachers, because, while their English was perfectly fine for these positions, the parents complained if they were not from the States, and did not have a perfect American accent.

I think that stinks, but that is the reality of it. Parents who pay heaps of money to send their kids to an American school want American-sounding or born and raised teachers. They also threw a fit about one of our pre-school assistants, because she is currently getting her BA through U-Phoenix on-line. She is originally from a Latin American country, but her English is quite good. She is married to an American. Yet they still complain.

I'm speaking from experience, as someone whose fiancee is a non-native English speaker. The outlook is grim for us as an international teacher. The only way he could maybe get a job would be to be a Spanish teacher where there are none available, and possibly get paid as a local.

There are no rights or protection in international schools, and they can basically do whatever they want. It all depends on the school and the admin.

Good luck!
msjane

Post by msjane »

A lot of countries will not allow you to gain a teaching permit if you are not a native English speaker. Often the school has no control over government rules.

I have also seen some posts on this forum regarding the upper age limit for teachers. In countries such as Indonesia, the government will not allow schools to employ teachers who are over 60 years of age. It is possible for the school to get around this problem but the teacher and school can encounter problems with immigration at a later date ..... especially if the teacher or school upsets someone who then notifies the authorities. It can be a big problem for everyone involved.
jonbonjon

Unless

Post by jonbonjon »

I have taught at an international school in my native country; Turkey, currently teaching at an american style curriculum school abroad, and considering a job offer from a European country as my next destination. I didn't receive any complaints about my accent, or about my style of teaching so far. I have excellent references, and enjoy doing what I do the best.

However, I hear the schools in South Asia and Gulf have some reservations against non-native speakers of English, even though it is not an ESL position. But I also know a Turkish friend of mine who is working in that region and doing excellent job.
Even in such a case, I do not think there will be a mass reaction from the parents but a few particular parents of tough kids will complain about you being a non-nativea and may use this as an excuse to take advantage over the school. This is simply a power/mind game. In that case, your future and peace will depend on your admin who should support you. In my opinion, these parents just do not care about the quality of the education their kids receive, but they will look at the label attached. They are narrow minded people who are proud of their kids to be graduates of an american school.
I doubt any good university or employer takes into consideration if the school of their potential candidate is American or British.

As a response to msjane; Can you tell me these countries, because I have not heard of any employment law against any nation in any part of the world. It may be easier for EU nationals to work in EU countries, but putting restrictions of employement of some nationalities is just not possible, unless that is a communist regime, a raicist director or you are going to a country which is at war with yours.

So, my last word as a general principal:
Avoid schools, who advertise as offering American/British education instead of advertising that they offer quality education; and I think [b]it is rubbish to teach at a school where your skills as a good teacher will not be appreciated.[/b]