Up in the Air

Traveller1

Up in the Air

Post by Traveller1 »

Anyone watch Up in the Air (new movie with George Clooney) and think, "Wow, I identify with the way he feels".

After living a nomadic life on the international teaching circuit I have no idea how I'm going to settle down when I stop teaching.
JISAlum

no kidding

Post by JISAlum »

Many TCK's will agree. It's often not an easy transition- a move that can impact one for a long time.
Roundtrip

Settling down

Post by Roundtrip »

Hi Traveller~Want my advice? Don't settle down until you start falling down. I traveled the world and had a great life which included teaching abroad. When I hit 46, someone talked me into "settling down". It was a big mistake. Now I am divorced at 59, my parents are almost 90, and I am now "settled down" looking after them. I love my parents and will stay near them as long as they need me, but I still long to pack a bag, put my "stuff" in storage and head for the airport. In a nutshell, do everything you can while you are young. Up in the Air was just a movie.
Adventure is the spice of life.
JISAlum

Re: Settling down

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="Roundtrip"]Hi Traveller~Want my advice? Don't settle down until you start falling down. I traveled the world and had a great life which included teaching abroad. When I hit 46, someone talked me into "settling down". It was a big mistake. Now I am divorced at 59, my parents are almost 90, and I am now "settled down" looking after them. I love my parents and will stay near them as long as they need me, but I still long to pack a bag, put my "stuff" in storage and head for the airport. In a nutshell, do everything you can while you are young. Up in the Air was just a movie.
Adventure is the spice of life.[/quote]

I know the feeling. Take the chance and enjoy the experience. At some point you might 'have' to settle down. It's not a good feeling for some. I avoid airports and always see planes flying overhead and remember the feeling of going somewhere. I miss it terribly. My family is trying to gear up with possibly going overseas, but it's a haul. My parents are in their early 70's, but I know at some point they'll need help and I'm an only child.

The adventure and excitement can't be matched.
Roundtrip

Re: no kidding

Post by Roundtrip »

[quote="JISAlum"]Many TCK's will agree. It's often not an easy transition- a move that can impact one for a long time.[/quote]

Being an only child with aging parents will be tough. When you say your family is gearing up to go abroad, do you mean a spouse and children? If so, at least you have a support system. If you are alone, go check out the Movie, Under the Tuscan Sky. The main character was a single girl who moved to Italy. She was alone and afraid, but she ended up acquiring a whole new set of friends who became her family. It's a fabulous movie and available on video.