What Would it Take to Lure You Back to Overseas Teaching?

IBRULES

What Would it Take to Lure You Back to Overseas Teaching?

Post by IBRULES »

Ok,
To all former international school teachers now teaching in public schools, let us know what it would take to get you to return to the international school circuit.[/b]
JISAlum

Hard to choose

Post by JISAlum »

I'm teaching in Illinois right now. I'm working on my 11th year in the state retirement system. I'm a quasi- administrator (Tech Director) making about 75k, medical is paid for, plus 2k for prof development, 12month contract. Don't save much and live frugally.

Prior I taught in a big SE Asian school, as well as the Catholic school system in the US.

Going overseas again is a desire of mine. I don't expect to get a similar salary, but with the other benefits (housing, travel..) do expect to be able to save. Financially I'd loose the retirement years, but expect to put money in bank on an annual basis as well as travel.

Benefits are the overseas experience. Being around teachers/students from around the world is incalculable. Just the little experiences such as walking down the road in a city such as Jakarta, having my kids play on the beach in Bali, spending Christmas in Europe or whatever is the attraction.

I do know overseas teachers who have had to come back to the US and teach well into their 70's to bank the retirement years. However they've had the rich experiences that can 't be found teaching in the suburbs IMHO.

I do have a concern in the increased numbers of for-profit schools that offer a sub-standard environment both for teachers and students. Now that I've had kids I won't take them to those schools.

What will get me back? A school that offers a good education for my kids, a chance to work with an international staff and student body and benefits that allow me to enjoy the opportunity.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

As many of you know yourselves, children can dictate where or when to make the next move. When we were last overseas, we were without children and getting paid well at a great school, but the air quality and lack of green space sent us back home. We could handle it, but we were worried about them. We missed a trail or street away from traffic for walks or learning to ride a bike. It's not that we wouldn't venture back out with kids, but we would have to be very selective. I also dread the thought of dealing with young kids and jet lag on trips home again. That was happening in August, December and June. The December one is the worst because of the double whammy---at both ends, within a two week time span. Older children handle that much better obviously.