Needing Advice for US teaching certificate!!!

dkneyse

Needing Advice for US teaching certificate!!!

Post by dkneyse »

I had an inital teaching certificate from the state of MO. It was valid from Dec. 2004-Dec. 2008. I taught my first four years in the state of MO, however the first four months didn't count because I had a substitute teaching certificate (because I was an intern) so technically I only taught by MO's State Standards for 4 years MINUS the four months. Kind of confusing I know.
Here is my problem. I am overseas teaching and when I went to upgrade my certificate the state of MO said NO because I was four months shy. So I am inactive and asked what to do to activate it but they said the problem isn't reactivating it, it is keeping it active once I have activated because I am not teaching in MO. There is nothing that I can do to have them reactivate it, I am doing PD over here but it doesn't count for anything because it is not in their MO system.
My question...I need to get certified again. Who knows if there is a state that will give me certification by just completing work online or something to that effect? I have a BS in Elem. Ed, concentration in Sped, and just earned my Masters in the Art of Teaching. Of course none of that counts for anything in the state of MO.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

starting point:

look into the out-of-state certification requirements of other states...most post these on their state board of education websites...in most cases you will have to sit for an exam (or exams). Also, look at states where recertification is more easily achieved (via PD time is the easiest). When I received my out-of-state certification in Texas, I received a lifetime certificate (no need to renew)...not sure if they still do this...this was in 1995.

hope this helps.
JISAlum

Illinois

Post by JISAlum »

I'm in IL now. I believe they have reciprocity with MO? Check their requirements out here:
http://isbe.net/certification/requireme ... ficate.htm

You can do online work for IL certificate. Work towards that, then use the reciprocity with MO when you need it.

At least an idea...
adminpaul

Teaching Certificate in California

Post by adminpaul »

The State of California will give you credit for your overseas experience. They don't come right out and say this but they do give credit for visiting art museums, lectures, cultural events and more. You need 150 hours of actual time involved in these events. Have a look. You can also contact us at ISR and we'll give you more info.

Admin