downturn effecting recruiting

puka2

downturn effecting recruiting

Post by puka2 »

Does the econ downturn seem to be effecting your school, or recruiting?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

13 positions at my school were eliminated through attrition and we are no longer growing at the rate we once were.
johnwest

downturn affecting school

Post by johnwest »

We have a very finite pool from which to draw students, so our student population is holding steady overall. I think maybe a postition that had previously been filled with an overseas hire went to a qualified local hire for this fall. Maybe. This is a very interesting question, though. Anyone else's opinion?
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

It will be interesting to see what happens next year when hundreds and thousands of Stateside teachers are cut this summer. Some states are facing cuts that will be devastating. A have a few friends who were thinking about returning to the US in a year or two, but now know there are no jobs to be had in the US and are therefore staying put. Consequently I will bet the number of overseas openings will be limited. I am glad I got going this year.
JISAlum

Changes

Post by JISAlum »

I also wonder if the downturn is going to keep some teachers at home in the States. Keeping one's retirement and stability as compared to going overseas and leaving both might keep potential candidates in States from the job fairs.

I do hope that more school consider hiring outside of the fairs though. I can see the regional fairs becoming more important and school cutting back on the US fairs.
pikefish

Re: Changes

Post by pikefish »

[quote="JISAlum"] Keeping one's retirement and stability as compared to going overseas and leaving both might keep potential candidates in States from the job fairs.[/quote]

Thats a great point. I was referring to the young teachers who may soon find themselves unemployed or their salaries shrinking. I teach in a system very hurt by the housing bubble. Consequently they are asking teachers to take a three to five percent pay cut next year and reducing 400 jobs district wide. The teachers who are retained will be teaching seven periods a day instead of six. Another district has told every teacher with less than four years to begin making plans to find a new job and be certain to make no big purchases such as a house or car. Who would want to come back to the states for that? A large number of teachers in my demographic (30s, no kids, 10 years of experience) are looking for alternatives, and many are starting to look overseas as there are not going to be any jobs in the US for a few years. Consequently there may be less turnover in international schools. Anyone see the vicious circle on the horizon?
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

This is off topic, but I am fascinated how the authorities can get away with the cutbacks pikefish mentioned. It is outrageous. In Australia, the media would rip them to shreds (not to mention the teacher unions).

Back to the topic: It's hard to imagine the downturn NOT affecting international schools. However, I am guessing that changes in enrolments will lag behind changes in the economy. For instance, most schools have already recruited for 2009-10. Any downturn in enrolments will probably start in earnest towards the middle of the year and into next year. To sum up, I'd be expecting fewer vacancies for 2010-11 (and maybe more people looking, as schools may reduce their teacher numbers).

A rather bleak outlook, I'm afraid

Do any old timers remember what it was like in the early 90s (90-1,91-2) - that was the last big global economic downturn.