What would it take to lure you back to North America?

IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

As an IB coordinator at an international school in Asia with 20 years experience in both U.S. public schools and international schools, let me set things straight. If housing were not included in the package almost NOBODY, save fools, youngsters, or people who are so desperate to see the world that they are willing to be abused, both financially and professionally, would teach at them. (Yes, those people teaching in Europe who have to pay for their housing fall into this category). Salaries and benefits are WOEFULLY lacking compared to U.S. public schools and have not risen ion proportion to the cost of living. When a family agrees to work overseas for a company, the benefits and salary increases are head and shoulders above what teachers receive, mainly because the international school system uses teachers as indentured servants to be their minions in this elaborate process. Teachers have no rights except those which the school admin is willing to grant them. Many international schools are in big, dirty, noisy cities or far off from any type of culture or entertainment. Yet, it is still a fact that international school admin and boards still actually believe that they offer a good deal.
So, to all teachers with any self respect, either apply ONLY to those very few international schools that can actually be called schools or stay home and improve the lives of your countrymen.
Let's put an end to this nonsense and send the message that unless these international school systems treat teachers with respect, we will boycott them.
STOP BEING SHEEP.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

Clearing over 40,000 US after taxes, housing and utilities isn't something I can do at home. Plus the experiences you get overseas last a lifetime. I don't think I will ever go back to the crappy conditions in America. Why would I want 34 kids in a classroom, administrators who have no idea what they are doing, government regulations up to my ears, when I can have a class of 15 kids who are in a college prep program. I save more, stress out less, travel anytime I want, and really enjoy my life.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopTeacher

Post by TopTeacher »

I can't even imagine seriously considering going back to teaching in the States. At my new school, I'll be clearing over 50K and have a townhouse free of rent, not to mention an expensive, top-notch, tuition-free high school education for my son. Plus, a nice retirement to boot! Adding it all up, including the taxes I'm not paying and prof dev and home flights and other perks (such as a wellness allowance and an annual 5% cola), we're talking over a six-figure salary! Is there a US school that would even come close? I think not.

I would say though that how one weighs the advantages of overseas teaching depends largely on the international school chosen. So, the moral of the story is...choose your international school carefully.
IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

Topteacher,
How about telling us all the name of that school. Sounds like a place we all might like to work.
If this place really exists.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear IBRULES,

Given your level of cynicism I think you are clearly teaching in the right place. It must be good for you to be back home! However, as hard as it may be for you to believe, there are many very, very good international schools that offer excellent pay AND working conditions...and the opportunity to experience a totally different life and culture. Personally, I wouldn't change what I have for any position that I could be offered back home.

Perhaps you just need to be a little more tolerant to the fact that not everybody is satisfied by what is important for you.
maxsaidno

Great Schools

Post by maxsaidno »

IBRULES:
To name a few great schools:
Shanghai American School
Singapore American School
Taipei American School
American School of Japan
ISB Bangkok
Jakarta International
Seoul Foreign School

While not all of these schools might hit the 50K mark, I can tell you that, having worked at two of them (and having close friends who have worked at others) that they are schools who pay their employees well and treat them well to boot.
TopTeacher

Post by TopTeacher »

There's a reason why some schools are considered top tier. The package I described isn't at all out of the ordinary for these schools. In fact, I've friends who are clearing close to 60K at a couple of the schools on the list that maxsaidno posted--they are on the Masters degree salary table and have many years' experience.

But I've no desire or motivation to prove to you that these packages exist. It's really your loss if you disbelieve it and don't bother doing your own research. Good luck to you.
IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

To Max and Topteacher:
Max, I worked at two of your listed top schools.

And, as IB coordinator, I am in a little better position to know about what goes on behind the scenes than you probably are - Have you ever been flown to a school (at the school's expense) for an interview? Do you know what the parents of your students make as salary at the schools you mentioned?

My point was, to any person secure enough to understand, is that the lower tier schools always survive because of teachers who always are ready to sell themselves short JUST to work overseas. How about using your special skills as a teacher - if you truly possess any - to help improve your COUNTRYMEN at home. Yes, the drawbacks are many, but the rewards are great and I cannot wait to finish my contract and get back to teaching students WHO REALLY NEED MY HELP.

And Topteacher,
If you are so afraid to mention the name of your school, it is most probably because you are boasting or inflating the package and are not secure enough to admit that you may not be telling the truth. But if you feel the need to give some lame "I don't feel the need to..." be my guest..

Hey, Max and Top, come to think of it, I might have actually fired one of you from an IB teaching job once
senator

Post by senator »

Hey, Max, IBRULES, and Topteacher,

I have been accused of being a bit too "honest' in some reviews, but I have never responded directly to any of the less than courteous personal replies some of my posts have received - unlike the three of you.

This is why I let international school teaching - TOO MAY OVERINFLATED EGOS!

Thanks to you three for adding yet another reason to support my decision to return home to teach.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear Senator,
Don't hold your breath...unfortunately, I think you might find overinflated egos wherever you go.

Dear IBRULES,
Good luck to you on your return to the States. I assume, given your claim (that you are getting back to teaching students who really need your help) that you will be heading to the inner city...rather than one of the more wealthy private establishments that might offer the IB diploma?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Dear everyone:

There is a politically incorrect/tasteless adage about "arguing on the internet." One can do a little work with Google and figure it out. Perhaps maybe then you can give the direction of this thread a rest.

Peace,
Pikefish
IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

Pikefish,
Didn't your post constitute an "online argument"?

Can you spell "hypocrite"?
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Sorry IBRules, but I am not going to play with you.

Best of luck.