Has anyone ever worked in Egypt?

Chine

Has anyone ever worked in Egypt?

Post by Chine »

Hello,
I'm trying to find objective as possible information about teaching experience at Narmer Amrican College in Egypt.
Thanks very much!
Otto

Narmer

Post by Otto »

Be careful, somewhere within the forum I THINK Iread that kids at Narmer run the show, no discipline support from administrators, something of a rich kids' school where grades are paid for. But, no first hand experience, so keep searching.
Alan

Working in Egypt

Post by Alan »

Dear Chine & Otto:

I am currently working in Egypt and at Narmer American College.

If you wish to have a direct dialogue about the school, the country, and the culture please feel free to e-mail me directly at

alanturnbull@hotmail.com .

With reference to the trash talk from JB posted at this site, you should discount it completely. This lady did quit in December claiming ill health. The school Headmaster who she "understands ..." blah, blah, blah did everything humanly possible to provide support for this completely incompetent charlatan, even to the point of hiring a substitute teacher as her full-time assistant.

She goes on to say, "I do not know of any high school middle school teacher who is happy ... " Believe me, there are many, many other things about the school and about teaching that she does not know. 'Nuff said?

If you want to ask directly about our school and our country, I can put you in touch with any number of competent, experienced, objective and sane professional educators who would, I'm sure be willing to answer your inquiries.

You really have to filter the material you read on a web-site of this quality.

Caveat emptor!

Regards,

Alan
blakesan

Narmer

Post by blakesan »

I'm not surprised Mr. Turnbull has tried to discount my input on this school. He's one of the ineffective, indeed damaging administrators and the one who has told seasoned teachers they have poor classroom control. True, I don't know all that goes on at Narmer, nor do I want to.
Yes, I was given an aide to assist me until I was released from my contract in December and he was a great help. I appreciated that. But I wouldn't have become so ill if my superiors had been supportive from the start. I am still under treatment for the ailments that surfaced in October while attempting to teach there. The other art teacher who left is also still under a doctor's care!

Two more positions have become vacant this week as more have resigned immediately.

In my report I mention that improvements are planned. And I do hope for all concerned that this will be the case. Reassigning Mr. Turnbull out of the administration would be a good start.

Charlatan, indeed!

Narmer

Post by guest »

Be careful about Narmer! It is owned by a wealthy Egyptian family and has an Egyptian division and "American" division.

Lee Yoder is a pretty ineffective administrator and is lacking in character.

Egypt is a great country and the people are wonderful. With the political climate, I witnessed many anti-American "demonstrations" and other mayhem within the school with little teacher/staff involvement.

Beware of any private schools in the Middle East!!!

Re: Has anyone ever worked in Egypt?

Post by Guest »

[Don't do it, we lived in Cairo for five years. Friends worked at Nrmer. Do not work there! Egypt is great unfortunately Narmer is not

Post by guest »

Alam sounds like so many people in the international schools who are self-serving and will do anything to ingratiate themselves to the administrators, board, or owners.

I think this site is great and it give teachers a bit of therapy, if nothing else.