teaching in Colombia? Mexico?

jillbeaulieu

teaching in Colombia? Mexico?

Post by jillbeaulieu »

I am attending Queen's Fair in Feb. and they have several schools from Colombia and Mexico listed. I wondered if anyone had information about the safety of living in either of these countries? or really any input on teaching in these countries?
This is my first fair experience. I've gone online to check websites and see what openings the schools have posted but quite a few don't have anything identified. Will that information be given to me when I get to Queen's? Should I contact schools that look interesting before the fair to email them my resume, etc. and tell them I will be at Queen's?

Thank you all for your help
bbc

Post by bbc »

I found living in Bogota, Colombia perfectly safe. I felt safer living there than some of the major cities in the USA.

The country is beautiful. It's very easy to get around if you're willing to learn of bit of Spanish.

The students are warm, kind, and funny. However, one may not find them as studious (depending on your experience) given their laid back culture.

If you learn to relax, then you'll fit in fine.
calciodirigore

Colombia!

Post by calciodirigore »

I worked in Colombia about nine years ago and loved it. I have since been back at least a dozen times and would highly recommend a job in Bogota if you are interested in experiencing a fascinating culture, wonderful city and beautiful country. As far as the schools go in Bogota (both British and American International and Bilingual) don't expect much. However, if this is your first gig abroad - then go for it! Hope this helps. Cheers.
stirdaddy

Post by stirdaddy »

It's not even a question in my mind: definitely go to Colombia. I live in Bucaramanga now and I've never, ever felt in any kind of danger (even at night, downtown, etc). A place like Honduras, Nicaragua, or Guatemala is much more unstable and dangerous (not least because of US "interventions" there).

Colombia is a country that straddles the first and third worlds -- yes, there's still extensive poverty here. But the quality of life and modernism in the urban regions is equal to any US city.

Saying that Colombia is dangerous is like saying that Los Angeles is dangerous: sure, there are parts of LA you just don't go to, but the city as a whole is perfectly safe.

Colombians are SUPER friendly; but as "bbc" said, most of my students are super lazy too. The relevant question being, of course: which is more important, happiness or success?