School Counselor Question

themeleks

School Counselor Question

Post by themeleks »

Sorry for the double post; For some reason this forum seems to get more response.

I"m a high school English teacher with 13 years experience- 2 of these internationally, the rest in the U.S. I'd really like to get into school counseling especially concentrating on college admissions.

What I'd like to know is if larger schools have such positions and what I'd need to qualify. I have a masters in education and English, so I'd like to just do a completion certificate for couseling. Will I have to actually do another MA? Is there anyone working in counseling now or knows someone who is and knows what the market for counselors is like?

I'd appreciate any help.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Our big Asian school definitely focuses on college admin and the counselors play a big role.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.B. White

counseling

Post by E.B. White »

My spouse is a counselor; we are at our second international school (my fourth). Most schools, we have found, are very particular about their counselor candidates and you would almost have to be certified and have direct experience. My spouse came to the international school circuit via higher education administration and counseling at the very types of oolleges many of the top overseas students want to gain admission to, and you would not believe some of what she had to listen to and put up with. I don't want to dissuade you, but unless you have a really good hook of some kind, it will be tough. And, at the high school level, college admissions experience is crucial.