bring the scooter?

dmdam0905

bring the scooter?

Post by dmdam0905 »

I have a scooter 50cc and I really, really really, do not want to have to leave it behind. I will admit to having a sentimental attachment to it, but I still think it would be good to take with me (depending on where I end up). I would think it would be a customs issue, tax, title, insurance. Easier to leave it/sell it and buy a new one?

Anyone ever bring a scooter/motorscooter/car over?
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

I would sell it, take the money with you and buy one where ever you land. Scooters are fairly common to come by and especially useful for getting around when you first land! No doubt it will not be like the one you have now, its just so many things could happen to it in transit.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Definitely sell and buy when you arrive. Rules are different in different countries and you might not be permitted to use it. Plus, I think you can put your shipping allowance to better use.
JISAlum

Re: bring the scooter?

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="dmdam0905"]I have a scooter 50cc and I really, really really, do not want to have to leave it behind. I will admit to having a sentimental attachment to it, but I still think it would be good to take with me (depending on where I end up). I would think it would be a customs issue, tax, title, insurance. Easier to leave it/sell it and buy a new one?

Anyone ever bring a scooter/motorscooter/car over?[/quote]

I had a motorcycle in Jakarta. You could buy a used one for much cheaper than you could in the US. Plus, get a local brand that can be repaired cheaply. Bringing a model over that can be hard to find parts would be a headache.

Plus, in Singapore you had to buy a COE certificate, which at the time, ran about $3000 per motorcyle (mid-nineties). Rules are different. Get to where you are going, then find out what everyone else has and buy one of those. Plus, when you leave you can easily sell it. Bring something different overseas and no one will want it.
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

Where are you planning to work?

I've worked in Indonesia, Singapore and China. In all of those places, you would get hit with a huge import duty just to get the scooter in.

As the previous poster indicated, there would be other costs in Singapore.

In Jakarta, there are thousands of cheap scooters available - having said that, at my orientation the school brought a Doctor in to talk about staying healthy in Jakarta. He said something to the effect that if you are planning to buy a scooter, don't. It is really dangerous out there (although there were a few brave souls on staff who did ride one). If you are heading to China, you might also want to do some checking - I know that it is illegal now in Guangzhou and some other cities.

So - sell your bike, check out the city you end up in and if you feel comfortable riding one, buy a cheap local version.