Contact schools again?

Trojan

Contact schools again?

Post by Trojan »

So, at this point I've probably sent out maybe 50 resumes. About 10 have sent back the form letter basically stating, "We'll get back to you if you fit with our needs." A couple have been personal notes saying basically the same, "We'll get back to you once we know our needs for next year." (This is even if they've posted a position I'm qualified for.)

But the vast majority have replied not at all. This is totally expected on my part. My question: Is it kosher in the international school biz to get in touch with them again? Do a follow up along the lines of, "I applied a few weeks ago and I just wanted to get the lay of the land."

What do you think?
akoliska

Post by akoliska »

If I were you, I would call back the shools who indicated that they were still unsure about vacancies next year, but I would wait a few weeks before calling back. In my experience, it can take a week or even several weeks before you get a response to a CV, especially at this time of year.

Incidentally, the worst bit of "no contact" rudeness I've experienced from a school happened last year, after I'd phone interviewed THREE TIMES with a school. They said I was on their short list, and had me phone interview with three separate parties, including one conference call with a large team of people at their school, and then, a week later, one with the principal. After that, I heard nothing. I emailed the principal with whom I'd not only phone interviewed, but who had emailed me on multiple occasions, and...no reply. A week later, I emailed her again. No reply. Finally, I emailed the principal asking if a decision had been made. No reply. I never heard from them again. There are some very rude individuals out there...
doublejointeddonkey

Letter sent from recruiters

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

I just received a letter sent from Search Associates which explains the entire situation fairly clearly (as per sending emails and comments on this board of some people getting hired before the fairs)...

"First, please understand, with five hundred and some schools, recruiters in even greater numbers, and the variety of situations we are working with, that there are guides and tendencies, not rules or laws. So, while I believe that contacting schools months in advance of the fairs is a waste of time, there are always exceptions and "it can’t hurtâ€
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Donkey, that seems to make sense, and is certainly easier. Though there's a part of me that is thinking just the opposite. Like, sending a follow up is what will set me apart/show that I care. I don't know, I can certainly see your point about these schools receiving a tidal wave of emails during this time of year.

I can also see the wisdom of your quotes from Search. Doesn't sound like there are loads of people getting jobs pre-fair. Though, on the other hand, Search--as a purveyor of fairs and the fees that go with them--certainly wants to encourage teachers to attend fairs and not get jobs without them.

I'm still up in the air on this.

Trojan
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Many schools are just now finding out what their current teachers' plans are, though I don't think you will hear back unless, as stated above, you have a specialty that is hard to fill.
Neptune

Casually

Post by Neptune »

I've been sending snail mail and email once a month just to keep the contact. The results have been good. But I will let it rest until Jan now.