Osaka International School

James

Osaka International School

Post by James »

I read a very positive review about Osaka International School and wondered if anyone else had information they could share about this school. I'm interested in cost of living as well. Many thanks.
jeffofarabia

osaka international school

Post by jeffofarabia »

the school shares a campus with a japanese school so you will always be able to interact with the local community which is nice. it is a ways outside of osaka, but fairly easy to get there on the weekends. evenings would be a problem if you were staying out late. a friend of mine worked there and she loved it. i have lived in osaka and it is a great city. great location as well, with kyoto, kobe and nara so nearby. japan is wonderful. the school pays well and i would love to work there.
best of luck.
Ichiro

Post by Ichiro »

OIS is a good school with a good reputation. The students are mostly Japanese who have lived outside of the country at some point and are therefore not able to (easily) return to the Japanese public school system. I've heard that teachers who don't know the Japanese language well feel isolated because so much of the school is Japanese.

However, if you're looking to live in the area, you can't work at a better school than Canadian Academy in Kobe--a top-notch international school with excellent facilities, outstanding faculty and students, very good salary and benifits and an all around great place to live.
Happy teaching

Post by Happy teaching »

Friends (young couple, no kids) who worked in Kobe at the Canadian school three years ago also loved the school, but found themselves a bit isolated. They said it was hard to go out without running into students/families, and hard to integrate into local culture.

THey suggested that teachers with families would probably be happier than those looking to go out a lot or date.