8 weeks in....and just starting to come out of culture shock

Candycane

8 weeks in....and just starting to come out of culture shock

Post by Candycane »

I think my culture shock has been extended by a lack of assistance upon arrival and having to deal with moving, being expected to set up insurance, transportation, bank accounts, deal with plumbers, etc without ANY assistance from the school (and not speaking the language...yet).

Given all of that, I am FINALLY starting to settle in and become more adjusted to my new culture.

Anybody else? What do you think "jolted" you out of it the most?
steventon

Culture shock

Post by steventon »

Hi Candycane,
Out of interest, which country are you in?
doublejointeddonkey

culture shock

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

I'm not sure if you are going through culture shock or a case of lack of support in your new international position.

the four major stages usually go something like this...

honeymoon/tourist stage (fascination with cultural differences),

crisis or disintegration phase (some people hit crisis almost immediately due lack of preparation or other factors; usually differences experienced are a source of irritation or dis-satifaction),

reorientation/integration phase (schools need to to address transition demands it is usually done by associating with people with similar cultural backgrounds as it reduces the isolation and sense of frustration often experienced in dealings with host culture)

adaptation/resolution phase (usually happens when one can maintain some degree of their original culture while participating as an active member of the new culture -other not perfect situations are separation - happens when not actively engaged in local culture and another situation is exclusion - host culture places barriers on foreigners in experiencing their culture )...

Studied some of this in my guidance certification (I'm a newbie for sure)...have to look up the sources...

A lot of research emphasized problems and paid less attention to successful outcomes. Maybe some one has some positive situations