Newbie Questions not yet covered

Trojan

Newbie Questions not yet covered

Post by Trojan »

I know there are a lot of posts from newbies with questions, but I haven't found the answers to these yet. So here goes:
1. Many job ads ask for transcripts. I've been out of college for 11 years. Do they really want those?
2. I have a non-teaching spouse and a baby girl. Chances of getting hired? Do I put that I have these dependents on my CV?
3. For those with families, what is it like financially? Still able to travel, for example?
4. Many advise to "Do research on the schools before you sign on." Other than ISR and their own websites, how do you do this?
5. Am always interested in anecdotes from families abroad. Hints, trials, do's and don'ts.
6. For those sending in CVs, cover letters, and picture to individual schools, when is the best time to do so? Now, or is it too early? Any advice on how to go about doing this, other than don't make it a form letter?

Thanks for your candor.
Candycane

Hi

Post by Candycane »

If you want to research schools.....google the schools you are interested in. (ie International School of Jakarta) Their websites will have a lot of info.

ECIS has an online directory of schools that provides all their links. Google "ECIS school directory" "ECIS" etc. It took me awhile to find it when I was looking before. If you can't find it, order their directory as it will have all of the info in it and descriptions of the schools as well.

Create a letter of interest with a link to an on-line resume (you can create a free one on Tripod). Using the directory mentioned above, you can email hundreds of schools if you wanted to. Email them anytime! Some schools still have openings or teachers that have unexpectedly left due to illness, family, inability to adjust to new culture, etc.

Since you are a newbie, I would reccommend joining a recruiting agency. It would probably make things much easier for you as far as getting into the market. The International Educator website is useful too. they have job openings listed and are updated regularly.

I haven't sent my transcripts to anybody. Maybe I did send them to Search Associates when I first joined? If you are going to sign up with a recruiting agency...do it now. They like to have lots of paperwork and it is tedious and takes awhile. Their websites answer some general question you may have as well. Google international teacher recruiting agencies or something like that and you will get some leads.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Yeah, I am aware of how to go to the schools' websites.
I've been to the ECIS site too, but since it is an organization of schools, I'm sure each school writes their own description. I guess I was more looking for outside ways of researching a school, not what they themselves write.

I've heard the online resume advice before. Sounds good. Is this something that people have had success with? Which brings up a related question:

--When you send Cover Leters, Resumes, etc to a school, do you send it as an attachment? I've read some people think that is taboo, as the HR people/Director may be wary to open attachments.

And how about those other questions?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Many job ads ask for transcripts. I've been out of college for 11 years. Do they really want those?

[b]Schools might need them to get your work visa. The big recruiting agencies ask for them and then pass them along to schools. Probably to help determine your qualifications[/b]

I have a non-teaching spouse and a baby girl. Chances of getting hired? Do I put that I have these dependents on my CV?

[b]I don't think its impossible, but you might have to work a little harder and I wouldn't put them on my CV. You also need to ask yourself questions along the line of what will my spouse do while I am teaching?[/b]

For those with families, what is it like financially? Still able to travel, for example?

[b]It can still be done but as I'm sure you have read over and over "its not like the old days". But there are other reasons to go international.[/b]

Many advise to "Do research on the schools before you sign on." Other than ISR and their own websites, how do you do this?

[b]I would also research the country and the region that you are interested in. A common question being posed now is "how much does it cost to get travel from city X?" Try to get teacher contacts at a school you are interested in, use the TES website and again research the country the school is found in[/b]

For those sending in CVs, cover letters, and picture to individual schools, when is the best time to do so? Now, or is it too early? Any advice on how to go about doing this, other than don't make it a form letter?

[b]It is definitely not too early to start making contact. Schools are beginning to find out what their current staff is planning to do and what openings they might have available. [/b]

Am always interested in anecdotes from families abroad. Hints, trials, do's and don'ts.

This is a huge topic, but I think you should be flexible (for example on where you want to go), expect the unexpected (some of your experiences will be totally outrageous), be prepared for some difficult times (especially true when you are worrying about your children), be prepared for a great experience. [/quote][/list][/list]
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Overhere, thanks for the replies:

Is it possible to get a digital version of your transcripts? I've checked at my school--Indiana University--and so far it looks like a digital copy is unofficial or possibly a no go.

My wife just wants to be a stay at home mom, which, actually, is what I'm doing right now. We want to switch it up.

Oh yeah, I don't think we need to be traveling around non-stop. I previously taught in a small town in Poland, and the best memories I have are of meeting the people there and getting to know the people of the town and co-workers.

I am nervous about not putting that I have dependents on my CV. It seems like in the International world it is standard issue to put that kind of info on the there. I know some schools are okay with it and some are not. On one hand, I don't want them to rule me out, out of hand, but I also don't want to be misleading. I want them to know what they're getting into with hiring me.

Do you "old hands" at the international teaching biz just start emailing staff asking them what it's like?

I feel like we're pretty flexible, but this is the first time our family will be doing something like this. There is a lot of nervousness already.

Thanks for all the input folks,

Trojan
johnwest

Newbie Qs

Post by johnwest »

Hey, Trojan. I have pulled email addresses off school websites and written to teachers. Sometimes they reply and sometimes they do not. I have received two emails and several telephone calls over the past few years from teachers who were interested in my then-current school. I have answered all queries. It never bothers me to assist others. I am also accused of being a Pollyanna by then-current colleagues. I have taught only at great schools. Maybe they have a few issues, but overall they've been great experiences. If they offered greater remuneration, I'd even return! Should you ever see my name on a list of teachers or administrators, go ahead and email or call me. I usually talk over what I am going to offer in response with other colleagues, so you get an amalgamation of our thoughts.

As for the dependents, if you sign up with a recruiting agency or placement fair such as TIE or ISS (and I think UNI) they usually record dependents, so the schools that obtain your information will already have a record of this. I would not put it in my CV.

Overhere’s correct about the need for transcripts. Many countries require them before they will issue work visas. In fact, Overhere’s advice is always pretty solid. :)

Thanks to everyone who offers their advice and experiences. I find them very useful and interesting. Candycane, I notice you have only recently begun posting. Keep it up. I may or may not be interested in China, but I see you’ve taught there before, so maybe any anecdotes you offer now will help me in the future.
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

Just my 2 cents.

If u don't tell the school on your CV that u have dependents, then they may hire you as a single - this means that none of your dependents would be covered (for health, tickets, immigration, housing, schooling etc).

In recent years, a lot of schools are taking a one dependent per teacher attitude. Even better schools like JIS and the International School Beijing are adopting this policy. This means they'll only sponsor one of your dependents, not three.

Sorry for being a bit negative here; however, my advice would be to send your CV in and just talk about yourself. However, when you talk to the school, give them all the details.

Some schools I know of that did sponsor extra dependents are Beijing BISS International School and I think Shanghai American School.

As for transcripts, the only time I was asked for these was at my present school and that was for them to determine where to place me on the salary scale. The more graduate credits, the higher you are placed on the salary scale. Most are happy with just evidence of your degrees. ISS ask for transcripts. Search and COIS do not (not in my experience anyway).

As for recruitment fairs, more and more schools are recruiting before the fairs. I have already had an interview for next year. Schools are getting paranoid that the better teachers will all be snapped up prior to the fairs, so are being more proactive. Get in touch with any schools that interest you ASAP.

Good luck with your search:)
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Beijing, so, it seems confusing in your post: do your recommend putting all of my dependents on the CV, or just wait to discuss that at a possible interview?

So, it sounds like transcripts are frequently a must. Do you guys have digital versions of your transcripts? Were your universities able to send you that, or did you have to scan in the paper copies?

Related question: When you format your attachments, do you leave them as the standard U.S. 8and a half by 11, or do you switch it to A4. which I hear is standard in many parts of the world?

Related to that question: do you make your cover letter the actual email, and then attach your resume, or do you attach resume and cover letter as separate files, and if so, what do you say in the email then?

Thanks,

Trojan
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Trojan,

Like you, I was obsessed trying to do everything just right as I started preparing for the job search last winter. After going through a fair and about a dozen interviews, I can say that it was a more relaxed process than I expected. Here's how I handled it: I looked at school Web sites for job possibilities, and, after registering for the UNI fair, through their files of job openings. For each job, I sent a very brief e-mail (2-3 sentences) expressing my interest in the particular job, with a mention that I was attaching a more thorough cover letter and my resume. Please don't worry about the size of your paper. I just don't think it makes any difference. All my materials were standard U.S. size. Remember to tailor your cover letter and resume for each position (I'm certified in four areas so emphasized the one I was applying for).

Several administrators e-mailed back and expressed interest. Several did not; UNI had told us not to worry if they didn't. The school I ended up at did not reply but I set up an interview at the fair and got the job.

I put all my materials in a portfolio for the fair, including transcripts. They were easy to get from the universities, and I graduated probably before you were born! I did have to bring copies of all my transcripts to my new school; they did not have to be official. They also required photocopies of my BFA and MA.

Contrary to what some have told you, I would NOT mention dependents in your resume; stick to the professional facts. That you have dependents will come out in the interview or formal application. They can, and will, ask you personal questions that would be illegal to ask in the U.S.

Good luck.
JISAlum

Dependent question

Post by JISAlum »

As is mentioned, you can be asked questions that you wouldn't get in the US. My wife and I were asked not only if we had kids, but if we intended on having kids in the next two years. The last thing a school wants is to bring over two teachers, pay for their transition and then have one get pregnant and have to find a maternity sub.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

There are also countries that prohibit couples from having more than a certain number of children. The Grand Caymans looked like a sure thing until the director found out we had three kids. He even said having a third when you were already employed at the school was grounds for sending you home. That was 10 years ago so things might have changed there.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Hi,
Just to add my two cents... I would be honest about your dependents upfront. I know couple who had a great offer recinded when the school realized that they had 3 kids. For some schools it is $-tuition, flights, larger housing, in some cases, I think it was Bolivia, they wouldn't hire people with very young kids as there was not good childcare to be had and there were problems with nannies in the past. They saw our family picture on the front of our joint resume and told us upfront to contact us when our daughter was school aged. If your wife is home and the baby is a lap infant, a school may not care. The point is that they all have a reason and if they need you they can make it happen.
Everyone asks very personal questions.
If you are interested I work for QSI and they are very family friendly. Pay is competitive for most regions. Excellent insurance. Check out the small schools.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Thanks for all the great comments.
I have a wife who is not planning on working, in fact, we see that as one of the bonuses of working at an international school. Hard to have a single income family here in the states if you want your spouse to stay at home (which is what I am doing currently).
We have only an 8 month old, so the tuition isn't really an issue.

Maybe I need to start a new post, but one of my original questions was about life as a family in a foreign country. It will be our first overseas living experience as a family (I taught for 2 years in Poland when I was single).

I would love to hear the ups and downs of handling the interview process when "selling yourself" as one who has a small family. Plus, just how life is in a foreign place with a family.

Puka, what is QSI? Quito School International?

Thanks again.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Hey,
I know what you mean about cost of living! We were both working in the states and overseas and it was a huge difference for us! I couldn't afford to stay home in the US. At least overseas we could have a full time nanny who basically took care of the whole family. What a stress reliever!

Your life will really depend on your requirements, flexibility, and where you end up. I personally think it is great. I have disposible income and get bored easily in my home country, and am willing to forgo root beer and reeses peanut butter cups. You know how it is if you have been overseas. With a baby it is an easier transition overseas than adjusting school aged kids who have always lived in the states. My kids have been overseas all thier lives. Our latest move this Aug. has gone pretty smoothly. The bummer is that now that they are school age it is much harder for them to learn the local language since they are in an English speaking environment all day and with us in the evenings. Luckily I am in a place where the kids fit in with the school population (it is US and Intl kids with a few locals) and have access to activities with instruction in English. You don't have to worry about those things.
I would make sure that you are comfortable with the local health care options in countries you are interested in. I have to trust the drs and hospitals. So far I have lived in 7 countries and for the most part it was all ok. The Gulf was the best for healthcare and Central Asia scary!!!! I personally wouldn't move to subsaharan africa with really small kids but some people might.
QSI is Quality Schools International. qsi.org
They are good people and pay on time. Lifestyle at locations very. They tend to be in "adventurous" places. you may want to check them out, they have an application online too. Feel free to ask more questions anytime.
personally i am planning to stay overseas until my kids are in college, so I am a bit biased. I think working overseas is great for everyone in the family.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Sorry hit send.....
To sell yourself overseas, I would make sure that you show your personality. i think that most admin. feel that you have been prescreened and are a professional. they really want to know if you will fit in with thier group socially and professionally. will you be flexible, or a pain in the butt. I would jsut be honest and relaxed. Why do you want to do this as a family? will your wife get bored, frustrated, homesick? What are your plans when the baby goes to preschool? Will your wife sub. help out? Hope that helps.