Recruiting Fairs and How to Not Attend Them

Beemarcus

Recruiting Fairs and How to Not Attend Them

Post by Beemarcus »

I keep hearing of more teachers getting jobs without attending a recruiting fair. I suspect with constant improvements in communication technologies this trend may continue, saving money and stress for teachers and admins alike. Common threads to pulling this off seem to be contacting schools well in advance of the fair season, and being such a catch that the school does not want to let you get away. The tricky part to me seems to be how do you break it to the schools you are contacting that you won’t be attending any of the fairs and if they want you, they’ll need to interview over the phone, or similar?
Candycane

IMHO

Post by Candycane »

I have gotten two jobs without going to a job fair. I hear others talking about not going to job fairs ever again as well. I think I will always take an interest in a fair as I just don't want to limit myself to only schools that are willing to do phone interviews.

I always contact schools I am interestd in before the fairs (even if they are not attending).

In my letter of interest, I always mention that I do plan to attend a fair (as I usually do). It is then up to the school to make the call as to whether they want to pursue me without meeting at a fair. Times are tough financially for everybody, so it may just be more and more common b/c of that?

I think it is just a matter of luck. If a school is really interested they may take the risk of just doing phone interviews. That's how it worked for me most recently. However, if it is becoming more of a trend to hire via Skype, etc.....more schools will do it to get attractive candidates before another school does. I'm sure the schools are looking to cut corners as well. If you have good references from a few Int'l Schools.....you're golden!