Admin Credential Online vs. From Home Country

Beg-1

Admin Credential Online vs. From Home Country

Post by Beg-1 »

Hello folks.

TLDR: is it possible to get a full admin (principal's) credential online, or do practicums and other things necessitate being in your home country (one that is recognized by foreign governments for visa purposes....I live in the USA).

Basically I taught oversees for 10+ years and never got an admin credential because it didn't seem possible while abroad after some looking into. The closest I saw were the PTC courses and I did some of those before moving back to the States.

But now I'm back in the States and in a leadership grad program and it seems like I could have done this while abroad, including getting signed off for my 300 practicum type hours while teaching international. It makes me feel like I made a mistake by not tackling it online beforehand, but I think I found awhile back that it just wasn't possible for a number of reasons.

What do y'all think?

At the end of the day, while PTC and all of the different things they offer seem good, I'm kind of happy to be in a US state, getting the admin credential, and then experience, because it seems like the most legit way to make it happen. Let me know what you think.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Two potential US options, neither of them require an NPQ/EPP or other program to complete (whether online, onsite, or otherwise).

1) The MA Provisional Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent credential requires a Bachelors/First Degree, three years of edu experience (including classroom edu experience), and passing the communication literacy pro. edu. exam. There is no leadership exam, Masters requirement or NPQ/EPP program requirement.
2) DC requires a Bachelors/First Degree, Masters Degree, and two years of edu experience (including classroom edu experience), for the Initial credential. The Standard credential requires a total of four years experience (two of which can be earned while working as a leader under the initial credential), and passing the SLLA exam (offered by ETS).

You can complete both and hold thus senior and executive leadership credentials.