Qualification options after PGCE

flashsteppe

Qualification options after PGCE

Post by flashsteppe »

Hi all, I find this forum quite helpful for a lot of things but I've had a hard time getting a clear answer for my particular case, plus many of the posts I've seen are from a few years ago and things change rapidly so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

I am a US citizen and have 10 years of overseas teaching experience, mostly in Hong Kong and in Istanbul. My BA is in English, my MA is in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching, and I have a PGCE. Currently I'm head of English at a private school in Istanbul which is accredited by CIS and College Board to teach AP classes (I teach AP English Language and Composition).

I'm thinking about options to advance in my career. I want to nail down a solid teaching license. Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Moreland University -- the only certain route, though it's the most expensive and the one that would take the longest to complete. If I start right away I
could potentially have it all done by hiring season next year but it's a time crunch.
MTEL -- with my PGCE, I believe I can take the MA license test and be given a provisional license. Would this be enough to compete for positions at
international schools? Could I use this reasonably easily if I choose to return to the US one day?
CT license -- I'm not super clear on this one. I've emailed the CT DOE but haven't received a response. It seems like the advantage is that it would not
be a provisional license like the MA one but based on experience I could have a full professional license.
Assessment only QTS -- I'm not at a British curriculum school, so this seems difficult to do in my current situation. But given that I could do it in 12
weeks and it would only cost 2000 pounds for a complete qualification it's the optimal choice. I've messaged a university about whether or not
teaching AP English would be considered for QTS but no response yet.

What would you do in this situation? Are there options I'm not aware of?

A last question for the experts here is how strong my current profile appears to recruiters. The 10 years + MA + PGCE + AP experience as head of English seems solid to me but I know not having IB means many schools won't even consider me (though I have done an IB workshop for English A) and not having worked at a fully international school counts against me. In the 10 years I've only worked at 3 schools, half that time was only at one school in HK. Before landing this job a few years ago I got a few offers from schools, a couple of them reputable international schools, but mostly I was ignored. I want to avoid that in my next round of applications.

Where I am now is great but not the fully international setting I'm aiming to be in. Moreover, should the need arise to return to the US at some point I'd like to have the security of being fully licensed in order to continue my career there.

Thanks!
Heliotrope

Re: Qualification options after PGCE

Post by Heliotrope »

I think there's an assessment-only pathway to certification. Not sure if this is true for all US states, but it's worth looking into. Then you'd only have to pay the exam-fees. Not sure what the qualifications for this is, but Google and learn.
popgirl

Re: Qualification options after PGCE

Post by popgirl »

Given who you are, I'd go with Moreland.

Doing a British certification route doesn't make much sense.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I strongly, strongly disagree with @popgirl. I cant imagine why they would provide that response unless the only factor that resonated with them was being a US citizen. QTS is a far, far, far, far, far (is that enough?) more reasonable route. You already have a PGCE, without QTS the first thing a recruiter/leader at a BS thinks is where is your QTS? Then not finding one, whats wrong with you is the red flag (blaring klaxons) question? Even if you have an unsynced PGCE and QTS the assumption circuit in their brain is likely to go unnoticed.

In direct reply to your inquirys:

1) As a US citizen if Teach now is your first option, you may as well consider Teach Ready as a better option.
A) The field experience is shorter.
B) The credential you get is longer (5 years vs. 4 years)
C) The PD renewal options both allow repeated exams (though Teach Nows is the PRAXIS and requires one as opposed to two exams at a minimum).
D) A FL credential is likely to have better mobility than DCs. You probability of acceptance of the FL credential than the DC credential is likely to have fewer issues if applying for QTS (as an NQT/ECT) than DCs which is more likely to be denied.
E) The cost of either program is about the same.
F) The Teach Ready credits are more valuable as UWF is actually regionally accredited by SACS whereas Teach Nows Moreland Uni is only DEAC accredited. To that end UWF has a real campus whereas Moreland does not, and it may be easier to obfuscate whether your EPP/ITT program was delivered online or F2F. You cant do that with Moreland and you may be able to with UWF.
G) It avoids the stereotype that comes along with Teach Now and the DC credential. You will simply have fewer questions to answer and fewer problems. Once you have a few years of quality high performing experience no one will care and it wont matter so much if at all, but until then and if you do decide to transition the credential FL will be easier.

2) The PGCE is not a factor in obtaining the MA Provisional (Entry grade) credential. Its a none issue. You must have a bachelors/first degree, and pass the required professional credentialing exams (the MTEL). One exam is a communication literacy (basic English language exam) the other is a content level exam. Many of the exams are offered remotely (online).
Sure it checks the 'legal pro. edu" box. It doesnt mean you know anything and its not transferable. It is relatively quick and has a very low cost in resources and coin. It would effectively be a lifetime credential requiring no PD. You could use it in MA if you returned to the US but nowhere else (unless you got a DS in some other state to essentially hire and sponsor you for some kind of other credential).

3) You wouldnt get a full professional credential. You would likely get the Initial (entry grade) credential but as a long shot you might get the Provisional credential. The benefit of CT is that they have a pathway where they will accept certain experience in lieue of and as a substitute in the absence of an EPP/ITT program. Its intended for DTs in CT (and the US) who have worked in private/independent DSs to transition to public/maintained DSs in CT. It wasnt intended for IE, but if you check all the boxes than it does work. The biggest issue in the past has been the acceptance rate of IE experience. Tier 1, Elite tier ASs tend to get approved regularly with diminishing success the lower the tier and the less 'American' the IS and its program. At one time having the experience from a US accredited IS was enough, but that is no longer the case.

4) You dont have to be at a BS but you do have to teach the UK NC. Its a grey area whether your IS has to provide a UK NC curriculum or you just have to teach it. Its really up to the provider and what evidence they require and want to include. If the provider is laregely portfolio based and you only have to provide a couple recorded teaching demonstrations its more likely you can get away with just teaching UK NC and not have your DS running a UK NC program of some form.
You should also note that a significant requirement is having taught in two or more DSs/ISs. Or at least two or more programs.
You cant use an AP English Language or Literature course. You are assessed against the "Teaching Standards" which incorporate the UK NC. Most providers just wont work with a candidate who doesnt fit into that 'box', they are likely to shuffle you off to their PGCEi/iQTS program which generates them more coin than they are to really make AO work for you.

If QTS is your prefered option than I would suggest looking at the Sunderland PGCEi program as its program has been accepted (and they have an add-on module) that allows you to obtain HK Registered status (Professional grade credential). Which would go to some degree to alleviate whatever issues may arise with the iQTS pathway. You could always just fall back on the HK credential if need be.

Youre not limited to just one pathway, its not a fork in the road. You can choose a low cost pathway such as the MA Provisional and then see what it does for you. With your resume recruiters are looking for something that checks that 'legal pro. edu' box so that they an get you a visa or employ you.

As an ESOL IT you know you have some of the luck going against you, ESOl tends to be seen as toxic and anything it touches tainted. Its hard (and a pro edu credential helps) showing youre a real IT.

Many IB ISs especially classical IBWSs wont be interested, but there are lower tier IB ISs that will see you as potentially worth training. None of thats relevant if because of a lack of credential they cant get you a visa or permit and thus cant hire you (even though ESOL provides them a greater alternative path to getting you in country). IB ISs usually dont have to make such considerations.

Youre Masters isnt in Edu, which decreases your marketability for anything outside ESOL.