Teaching in the US public school system

Bears123

Teaching in the US public school system

Post by Bears123 »

Hello,

This post is a bit different.

I am currently teaching secondary Math in Washington, USA. This year marks my second at a Title 1 school and my third year of teaching in the U.S. My first year was at a high school in an affluent neighborhood. The school where I work now boasts a highly diverse demographic. However, my principal has assessed my performance as "basic" and is considering placing me on a "Plan of Improvement," citing issues with classroom management. In my classes, students are often loud, and some are struggling to learn. The principal has repeatedly suggested that I might be better suited to teaching at a high school rather than a middle school, hinting that I should consider a different school for the 2023-2024 academic year. Although my performance evaluation isn't finalized, I'm feeling that this school may not be the right fit for me.

There's a notable high turnover of teachers and administrators at our school; a third of our teachers are new this year.

Regarding my background:
I hold U.S. teaching endorsements for Grades 5-12 in Math and Special Education. From my observations and discussions with colleagues, I understand that working in Special Education can be highly stressful due to the extensive paperwork involved. While SPED teacher positions are frequently available, my preference is to continue as a general education Math teacher, although high school math opportunities seem less common. My academic qualifications include a Bachelor of Science in Economics and a Master's in Education. My current annual salary is $82,000 USD, but after taxes, my take-home pay is around $60,000 USD per year. I live with my parents. If I rent a studio, the average monthly rent in my area is about $1,600.

As a Chinese individual holding U.S. citizenship, I've observed that there are relatively few Asian teachers in Washington. Most of my friends are employed as software engineers. I am currently in my late-30s. I always feel lonely working in the US, and I could not find a forum similar to this website to express my thoughts.

I have a few questions regarding the teaching profession in the U.S.:

Competitiveness of High School Math Teacher Positions: I'm curious about the level of competitiveness in securing a high school math teacher job. Given my background, how challenging might this be?

Hiring Trends: Are the months of August and September less competitive for finding such positions, considering schools might have fewer qualified applicants for each math opening? Additionally, what is the hiring landscape like for mid-year positions, such as in December?

Perceptions of Age and Experience: In the context of American schools, how is age viewed, particularly for someone in their late-30s like myself? Also, how might my limited teaching experience impact my job prospects or how I'm perceived in the educational community?
Rob

Re: Teaching in the US public school system

Post by Rob »

Hi Bears 123,
I would try to persevere for the whole school year. but let them know now that you will not be returning. I really think that as a math teacher you should have no problem finding openings. I'm a retired teacher in Washington state, but taught many years overseas. I taught a little in Washington the last few years and know that qualified math teachers are difficult to find.

I have two acquaintances in Bellingham that found teaching positions in Vancouver, Canada. Many of their students are Asian, and perhaps you would find that more suitable. Vancouver has a teacher shortage and hire qualified teachers from the States.

You're still a young teacher and have many good teaching years ahead of you.

Rob
AA2024

Post by AA2024 »

You should not have any issues finding employment in Washington or most states in the US. Principals like the one you have are the main reason why there is a teacher shortage in our country. I would not worry about finding employment.

The only thing is that I would secure employment at another school before handing in your resignation.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bears, I've answered your questions below:
I have a few questions regarding the teaching profession in the U.S.:

Competitiveness of High School Math Teacher Positions: I'm curious about the level of competitiveness in securing a high school math teacher job. Given my background, how challenging might this be?

Math teachers at any level are in demand. You shouldn't have a significant problem getting a job.

Hiring Trends: Are the months of August and September less competitive for finding such positions, considering schools might have fewer qualified applicants for each math opening? Additionally, what is the hiring landscape like for mid-year positions, such as in December?

For domestic schools, peak hiring starts in late March (after Spring Break) through to some point in May. Again in August as enrolment numbers become clear and teachers are needed to fill classrooms full of students with no teacher permanently assigned.

Perceptions of Age and Experience: In the context of American schools, how is age viewed, particularly for someone in their late-30s like myself? Also, how might my limited teaching experience impact my job prospects or how I'm perceived in the educational community?

Age is fine. Limited teaching experience - how long have you been teaching? As to MS teaching - do you like gaming? Do you share interests with your students? Learn their names quickly? Ask about them and get comfortable enough with who they are that you know when they are 'off', who needs gentle encouragement, who needs a wakeup call, who works for marks only, who works for pride, etc? If you find it hard to connect to MS students, HS might be better, but do you have the ability to do a good job?

In short, if you are a good teacher, you will likely always have a job or only be in-between jobs for a short period of time. Math teachers are in demand and the market for teachers is great right now.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your leader is gas lighting you. Indicating you feel inferior as a way of keeping you rating youre teaching ability as subpar as a means of discouraging other DSs from interest in you and making you feel you need them to grow into an exceptional edu. Does your leader have a math DT tree growing somewhere?

Has your leader indicated why you would be better at a senior school than a junior school? Kids in senior schools can be just as disruptive as junior school, plus theyre bigger.

Youre only in your second year of teaching, youre not supposed to know everything. generally edu improvement sees the biggest changes in edu performance and success at years 1, 2, 4, and 8. In years one and two teachers have two skill sets to become proficient in: curriculum and classroom management. Your student demographic is not the best or even in the top half. Lets face it youre likely not the problem, its likely the students.

SPED in US public/maintained DSs is more about documenting why students arent improving more than it is improving student learning. I once had a leader tell me "students in SPED should be prepared to exit into the general purpose classroom within three years." My response was that he should go to wherever that fantasy land is and be a principal there". We never got along after that, but the world is not short of leaders who have grossly unrealistic expectations.

In direct reply to your inquiries:

1) Math DTs rank rather high on competitiveness scales in job availability. I concur with @SJ that youre probably always going to have job opportunities available to you.

2) In the US DE market DSs tend to start recruiting in around march with making the rounds at the Uni job fairs. Then around May when DTs are mostly requied to have their notices in is when recruiting really increases, as leaders both at the campus and the district level want to have as much done by June as they and campus leaders go on their holiday usually around early July. Usually recruiting drops off then in July and resumes in early August before the first day of classes. At that time a DS is more likely to appoint a long term substitute/supply DT for at least the first term if not the full AY.

3) Age isnt really a problem as long s your sharp and energetic. Leaders in US DE prefer DTs who are walkers over sitters.

4) With 2 years teaching experience people are going to think youre rather inexperienced, but as someone not only credentialed in maths but actually with a math adjacent academic background they are going to care more (and be impressed more) about that than anything.

Before searching for a new job be aware of the notice requirements you may have in regard to contract abandonment (which WA does have). You want to ensure youve either fulfilled your contract or be released from your contract.