Requirements to teach in Europe

jboeh2

Requirements to teach in Europe

Post by jboeh2 »

Hello,
I'm exploring the possibility of teaching in The Netherlands in the (near) future. I came across a requirement from the International School of The Hague that states, "Qualified teacher status, eligible to teach in a Primary School in the Netherlands."

I hold a U.S. teacher certification and have over 10 years of international teaching experience. Currently, I don't possess any licensure or permit to teach in Europe. Does this mean I shouldn't apply, or are there potential exceptions?

Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

"Qualified Teacher Status" (QTS) isnt a term used in The Netherlands to describe a credential for K12/KS edu. You need to have a credential either issued by the MOE or one recognized by the DUO, and the standard of recognition for foreign credentials is the UK equivalent of QTS (assuming the Academic PGCE pathways). If you obtained your US credential through an academic pathway that consists of courses on a transcript and a field experience than it would likely be equivalent for the DUO.

That particular IS has a high frequency of requiring applicants to have an EU passport, or have the right to work in the EU to be considered.
jboeh2

Re: Requirements to teach in Europe

Post by jboeh2 »

Thanks, @PsyGuy,
So just to confirm, if I hold a professional certification from New York State, am I still eligible to apply? I presume that even if the school tends to hire applicants with EU passports frequently, it's not an absolute requirement. I am Special Ed certified with 10 years of international teaching experience.
Thanks again.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jboeh2

Kind of, sort of. Youre actually asking two questions.
In regards to the first question: Yes a NYS Professional credential is comparable to QTS (Professional grade) credential, and depending on the pathway MAY exceed QTS as an Advanced grade credential.
To the second question: In The Netherlands Independent/Private ISs (B4 institutions) are largely exempt from the credential requirements for regulated (maintained/public) DSs. DT training programs, particularly at the secondary level, require a 1 year post bachelors/first degree program, comparable to a PGCE and ITT program in the UK or a Post-Bach and EPP program in the US. The issue is that there are pathways for the Professional credential that do not require graduate level coursework, or the obtainment of a Masters degree to complete requirements.
Regardless, the NYS professional credential is at least equivalent to QTS.

For many of their positions, an EU Passport or right to work in the EU/Netherlands is a requirement to be considered. The IS is indicating they will not pursue or obtain a work visa for the candidate. There is the occasional position that they will consider those who do not have an EU Passport, or right to work in the EU. In those cases its a preference, but for most practical matters they will exhaust the pool of qualified EU passport holders or those with a right to work in the EU, before advancing to interview to those who would require visa sponsorship, which rarely happens. The cost to apply however is trivial.
jboeh2

Re: Requirements to teach in Europe

Post by jboeh2 »

Got it, thanks @PsyGuy

I'm currently part of SA. Would you recommend any other job search agency? I'm considering Schole as an alternative site. Additionally, I'm just checking school databases for schools I'm interested in.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jboeh2

1) TES is free, they tend to emphasis ISs that are more UK centric, but its free.
2) TIE is about as good as Schole and cheaper.
3) ISS has a free tier that will show you vacancies and ISs, you would have to apply outside of ISS though. Their paid tier isnt worth it, unless you really have a job lead that wants to do a meet & greet at a fair.