South African teachers

AA2024

South African teachers

Post by AA2024 »

Increasingly I have seen more and more of colleagues at my school come from South Africa. My school has three campuses and it has gotten to such a point where one of the campuses is with 95% South African teachers.

It is a pretty well known fact that life in South Africa is not getting any easier so more teachers from there moving abroad is not surprising to me. I am curious as to how you think that will change the international school scene? Will schools just start getting more and more filled up with South African teachers? Will parents see all these teachers coming from there and start raising questions?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Nothing, or more accurately in no meaningful way. The preference is still for colonial American or British accents. Thats theres an uptick in S.African recruiting is:

1) Pop.Ed/Fad. (such as an attempt at keeping white faces on staff but being more global).
2) An outcome of acute temporary symptoms due to changes and conditions in current affairs whether political or economic.
3) Short term fiscal strategy. I've seen some ISs in third tier ISs that have a different (lower) comp and salary schedule for S.African ITs.
4) Stop gap measures for unplanned or unforeseen changes in enrollment or staffing (those S.African ITs are viewed as temporary or short term hires).