HEL - PE Teacher seeks Leadership step

freetofly2022

HEL - PE Teacher seeks Leadership step

Post by freetofly2022 »

Hello,

I am a PE teacher with over 12 years of experience working in IE. 2 years in Malaysia, 1 year in Cambodia 6 years in China and 4 in India. Mix of IB, UK curriculum and national schools. I have a masters in physical education.

I want to move into an athletic director role and am looking for a direction in regards to making myself more marketable and pursuing an advanced degree as an athletic director, sports director or HOD. I already have a certificate from Oxford for leadership that was a 2 month long course.

My question are:

1) Do you know of any advanced degree leadership programs ( Masters or certificate ) program that I can enroll in that would help Improve my marketability? Looking to do this online.

2) Are you or you know anyone out there that is an AD that simply moved up into a position based upon years of experience and general timing of needing to be hired?

Any help would be great.
falconeer

Re: HEL - PE Teacher seeks Leadership step

Post by falconeer »

Is it me or is there an over representation of former PE teachers in Admin at international schools?
scooter93

Re: HEL - PE Teacher seeks Leadership step

Post by scooter93 »

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen several PE teachers become AD by expressing interest and dedication and staying at the same school a while. No extra degrees or anything, so i can’t give any suggestions on a degree that would help. Good luck !
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Does it have to be an AD title? There are many more ISs that have an HOD for PHE as opposed to an AD. If you have to have that title than I would concur with @scooter93, youre better off finding an IS with an AD role, getting in and then one the job becomes available because the current AD leaves for whatever reasons, your in a better place to secure that appointment internally rather than as an external candidate.

Otherwise you dont mention it but obtaining a pro edu credential would be a strong next step such as QTS, etc. that appears to be missing.

@falconeer

Its not you.