Which endorsements should I add?

ITwanderer

Which endorsements should I add?

Post by ITwanderer »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make myself a more attractive prospect to schools in the upcoming recruitment season.

Currently, I have:

DC credentials in English (7-12) and ESOL (Prek-12).
A BA in Business Administration.
A M.Ed.

3 years IT experience as an English teacher in a Tier 3 school (common core curriculum)
5 years as a ESOL teacher in Korean public schools before that.
3 years teaching undergraduate business tutorials at a UK university.

Which endorsements, if any, would be the most valuable when applying?

1. Social Studies
+Would go well with English.
+Economics was part of my degree, and I've heard it's hard to find economics teachers?
-No teaching experience in the subject
-Not a US citizen, so schools might doubt I can teach US history

2. Math
+Math teachers are usually in high demand
+My degree had some math related content
-No teaching experience in the subject

3. Business
+Directly part of my degree!
+Taught at a university level, though 10 years ago now.
-I don't see many vacancies for this.

4. Something else?

Generally I'm just unsure how valuable endorsements are without any (or any recent) teaching experience.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Why not all three of them, youre just going to take some PRAXIS tests so youre talking what three days to take the exams and a few hundred USD in fees.

Economics ITs have some of the highest market value but only within the sphere of humanities/social sciences. Social studies pairs well with Literature but its usually only at the lower secondary level you find those kinds of pairings. Economics isnt generally taught outside of the SLL level. This means an IS is going to put their assessment scores in the hands of an IT without any KS/K12 experience in the subject and a degree thats a decade old at least. there are certainly ISs low enough in tiers and in hardship regions that will do that but I dont think thats what your looking for.

There are plenty of non-ASs that dont teach American History.

Youre in the same boat with maths but maths is in very high demand generally, so much so that there are more ISs that have to settle for what they can get. Maths is also one of those subjects you find at all grade levels. So giving you a lower secondary maths class to see how you do doesnt jeopardize the IS nearly as much as SLL does. Still if you cant teach calculus and higher level maths if an IS needs that, then they still have to recruit someone else.

Business has vacancies but not as many as maths or econ does. Many of those business positions are combined with economics and/or other humanities and social sciences positions.

Social studies is one of the easier vacancies to recruit for. Once you get to SLL its typically for specific courses but outside that its rather really close to the saturation point.

Credentials and no experience is more valuable than no credential, and no experience. Its about a wash on what a recruiter would prefer comparing a candidate with no experience but one has a degree in the subject and the other has a credential (but no subject specific degree). The credential checks the legal box, the degree candidate probably understands the subject matter better.