'Normal' full time teaching load in Secondary

hitherejen

Re: 'Normal' full time teaching load in Secondary

Post by hitherejen »

It's exactly as @PsyGuy said. Our contract states to be an active member in all areas of the school. Guidance given is to join one of the trips, appropriate to grade level. In Primary and Middle School these happen in the school year, High School is one week in the holidays.

Before covid the schedule for these was well known. Post covid the information has come out a bit later, and for example this year I already have travel booked when the school trips are happening.

The expectation are also that you do an hour and a half of extra curricular a week (or equivalent). The professionalism in my school means that aside from teachers where there's some extenuating circumstances happen, most are beyond that minimum expectation in terms of extracurricular. It is really a positive part of the experience of being here, I just wish the rest of the time expectations weren't so maxed out.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The usual for me has been 20 blocks a week - one week you teach 12 of 20, the other week you teach 13 of 20, for a total of 25/40 biweekly. Classes have ranged from 70 to 90 minutes long. Duty is lunch or break duty 2x a week, plus two after school acvities on a trimester cycle. No before or after school supervision.

Over a good system.
joliroja

Post by joliroja »

Surely the only thing that matters here is whether or not you have enough time to complete your responsibilities during working hours… plus in my mind approximately 5-7 extra hours at home (or arriving early/staying late after ECAs/CCAs) per week is reasonable.

For example, in a brand new school there’s so much to do beyond classroom teaching that a lighter ‘contact teaching time’ is essential. However, in a well established school with lots of Teaching Assistants, resources ‘on hand’ and solid ‘well-established’ planning requiring only minor tweaks, then a higher ‘contact teaching time’ would seem fair.

Each school will be different, and anyone looking to move just to ‘teach less’ is not someone I’d want as a colleague in my team.