Need Travel Insurance for Summer

Helen Back

Need Travel Insurance for Summer

Post by Helen Back »

Actually, I'd prefer a year-round policy, but I'm looking at US$4,000 for the four of us. We need a cheap policy for the UK and EU. Any suggestions?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Do you specifically need the UK?

In the EU tourists can access emergency health care (casting a broken bone, suturing a wound, etc.) free of charge and routine health care (antibiotics, etc.) are so inexpensive that it would be more cost effective to just pay out of pocket for the prescription and consult with the pharmacist than it would be in policy premiums.

I like and have used World Nomads. For the UK and EU, a month long policy for a family of four should be around USD$1000 for Premium tier benefits and about half that (USD$500) for Standard tier benefits. Premium covers more activities and has higher caps than Standard.
Heliotrope

Re: Response

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Do you specifically need the UK?
>
> In the EU tourists can access emergency health care (casting a broken bone,
> suturing a wound, etc.) free of charge

Not free of charge in all EU countries, although still at a reduced cost.

If you break your arm and you're near the border it might be worthwhile crossing over from a country that offers emergency care at a reduced rate to a country that offers it for free.

Also (although things might have changed), it used to be that that reduced-fee of free emergency care was only for citizens from other EU member states, and since sadly the Great Britain is no longer part of the EU, it might not apply to tourists from the UK, unless they have negotiated a reciprocal agreement (not unlikely).

Anyway, don't base your decision about this on what two international teachers say replying to a post on a forum - get some confirmation from a reputable source.

For insurance, a friend of mine uses Safety Wing (https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance). For a family of 4 that would cost 240 USD per 4 weeks if the parents are under 40, and 50 USD more if you're both over 40. That's with a $250 deductible and a $250,000 max limit, and I'm not sure what it covers exactly, so do your research.