Integrity

popgirl

Integrity

Post by popgirl »

I'm finding it hard as there seems to be very little integrity in certain members of my admin. Decision making is opaque, and there are frequent frantic searches for fall people to take the blame for mistakes. Decisions are made behind the back of faculty, denied, and when the consequences are clear for all to see, the gaslighting starts. Cliques are made, decisions are made behind closed doors in those cliques, and then badly communicated to the rest of the faculty, if at all. When decisions are not carried out - often as most faculty concerned don't know they've been made - then the blame game and name calling starts. Believe it or not, this is in a 'top' or even 'elite' tier school. I've worked with some really good admin in the past, so I know it doesn't have to be like this. I'm tired, annoyed / irritated by the lack of professionalism, and on the verge of writing a review on the paid side. All that's stopping me so far is that I'd like to move on and I'll need references.

Any advice, beyond 'keep your mouth shut and move on'?
Heliotrope

Re: Integrity

Post by Heliotrope »

popgirl wrote:
> I'm finding it hard as there seems to be very little integrity in certain
> members of my admin. Decision making is opaque, and there are frequent
> frantic searches for fall people to take the blame for mistakes. Decisions
> are made behind the back of faculty, denied, and when the consequences are
> clear for all to see, the gaslighting starts. Cliques are made, decisions
> are made behind closed doors in those cliques, and then badly communicated
> to the rest of the faculty, if at all. When decisions are not carried out -
> often as most faculty concerned don't know they've been made - then the
> blame game and name calling starts. Believe it or not, this is in a 'top'
> or even 'elite' tier school. I've worked with some really good admin in the
> past, so I know it doesn't have to be like this. I'm tired, annoyed /
> irritated by the lack of professionalism, and on the verge of writing a
> review on the paid side. All that's stopping me so far is that I'd like to
> move on and I'll need references.
>
> Any advice, beyond 'keep your mouth shut and move on'?

Definitely write that review, just write it in such a way that it can't be traced back to you.
I'd say around 80% of all reviews can't be traced to an individual teacher by a school's admin, and the ones that can be traced mentioned certain details (number of years at a school combined with something else that's distinctive, like certain incidents that they were involved in) or a specific writing style (I once read a review about my school in which the reviewer used the same archaic word a couple of times that I've only ever heard one person use - one of my colleagues).
Also, don't mention in the review that you're leaving at the end of the year (rather say you're staying despite all the things that are wrong with the school), because that might also tip them off. Maybe put it some irrelevant fake details about yourself (but also don't describe other teachers) to throw them off your scent.
Be aware of that and you'll be fine. You don't have to be a paid member to write a review btw.

It doesn't sound like you can do much about the problems you're describing, so sadly I'd recommend to indeed 'keep your mouth shut and move on', as I doubt a mindfulness course will enable you to stop you from getting 'tired, annoyed / irritated by the lack of professionalism'.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Even 80% is low, well over 90% cant be traced back to an IT by leadership. You dont need to be a paid member to submit a review. Be sure to review both the IS and the leadership if you do submit a review. The best time to submit a review is between AYs, as that is the time that most ITs leave.

1) You state its certain members of leadership, can you isolate yourself from them and just ignore them.
2) Go around or over them to a more professional leader.
3) You could try and get them dismissed.

Otherwise a closed mouth gathers no foot and start your exit strategy.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Sounds familiar, heard similar rumblings about an elite school in SE Asia. By writing a review, you will be saving a lot of grief for many folks who think elite schools are all roses and sunshine, which are truly not.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy, we rarely agree, but this "a closed mouth gathers no foot" is a great phrase that hits the nail on the head.

You can't win in this scenario. You can only exit. Fighting admin who lack integrity is a losing proposition every time, even if you are willing to compromise your own integrity to do so. Suffering in the short term, keeping your options open, and moving on quickly is the least harmful option.

Writing a review is essential.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> PsyGuy, we rarely agree, but this "a closed mouth gathers no
> foot" is a great phrase that hits the nail on the head.

*faints*
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

LOL, are you working at my previous school? Or working for an admin from that school who has moved on? Sure sounds like it...especially the gaslighting. Yes, this was an "elite" tier school.

Do you get emails sent to you by certain admin timestamped at 3:17 am? Does that same admin pay lip service to wellness but doesn't actually practice wellness in their own life?