Asia to Europe

fine dude

Asia to Europe

Post by fine dude »

With rising housing costs, heightened pollution and kids tuition being taxed in many parts of Asia, would you consider moving to Eastern or Western Europe for your next job?
booboo14

Re: Asia to Europe

Post by booboo14 »

I started international teaching in Asia. It seemed back then everyone wanted to work in Europe. Now after many years, I see the pros and cons of both worlds. You may find it shocking that the pollution in the Western European country I was in was worse than in the Chinese city I taught at. It wasn't more ethical either. Even with additional taxes, the pay in Asia is much better than in Europe. And after returning to Asia, I was disappointed with the quality of the students after having Chinese students as my reference. I also feel there's a certain amount of hypocrisy (sorry for my lack of articulation) with teaching in Asian countries that are dictatorships. My best personal experience was in an Eastern European country. But even then, it was ruined by a self-serving head and board. So I guess my answer is useless, in that it depends on your opportunities, personal make-up, and what you want.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@ booboo14
Your answer is useful and I appreciate it. I guess it's all about trade-offs and requires some luck to end up in the right school or country or even both.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

This is a bit of a difficult one.

When I was on Asia, I noticed a definite plateauing if pay and conditions as time passed. I'm aware of the crazy rent inflation in places in Singapore which was over 40% for 1 year.

Schools are not in the most part keeping up with with basic inflation.

Europe has another problem that people outside of Europe don't consider, the millions of Ukrainian refugees which have significantly increased rents along with huge energy and food price increases.

Some countries like Germany have indexing, but most don't which means that wages are significantly going backwards in Europe and it's affecting the ability of some schools to hire quality staff.

A school I know of was lucky due to the exodus of high quality staff that recently left China.

Some schools in eastern Europe allow for more savings, but expect to deal with a much more conservative culture with less compliant parents and kids.

As such, if you see yourself as an activist teacher then eastern Europe may not be for you.

Most schools on Europe seem to be aimed a lot at mostly local students, but I don't know enough to fully confirm this
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I find that comparison to be rather disingenuous. Its not really an Asia vs. EU comparison but an old Asia vs. new Asia comparison. Yes, tuition/fee placements are more often taxed but they are in many places in the EU as well. While Asian ISs have reduced or limited tuition/fee waivers/placements relatively recently the EU does the same or the tax burden makes it impractical. Likewise housing and other allowances are more likely to be taxed in Asia but in the EU youre not likely to get a housing allowance or benefit at all.

If find comp to be more on par between the EU and Asia but parts of Asia have much lower costs of living than the EU overall.

In the EE I tend to concur with @sciteach, in so much that anywhere worth working for comp that was remotely western often involved a tradeoff between the ISs leadership and/or the students and parents.