Schools that don't pander to the 1%?

lightstays

Schools that don't pander to the 1%?

Post by lightstays »

I'm considering returning to international teaching after half a decade working remotely as a writing instructor for college-bound high schoolers (college essay prep basically).

One of my reasons for leaving the international circuit (eight years experience, three schools, high school English) was the level of stultifying privilege and entitlement among international school students and imbued into international school culture. They were basically like private school students in the US with more frequent flyer miles to their name. What a great environment in which to start out life! And their parents? I won't even start. If you're on this board, you know.

But the wretched of the earth was not everyone. I also instructed wonderful, curious, intellectually driven students who made my job worth it. They were unfortunately in the minority.

I have deep ethics, as all educators should. I did not get my Master's in Education saying "I can't wait to facilitate greater and greater life opportunities for those already born into historically unseen level of wealth and opportunity!" (Who does that?) Wealth is not morally neutral. Follow the income ladder up to the stratosphere and you encounter both overt and and tacit insults to democracy, our collapsing climate, and most notions of fair play and equity.

So, does any school do it differently? Is there any international school out there that recognizes the moral and ethical hollowness of the ruling class and seeks to reform this? Is there a school that consistently lives out the true meaning of educational meritocracy? Is there a school that actually brings kids from across the socio-economic spectrum under one roof? What do you got?

THE MODERATOR HAS LOCKED THIS TOPIC because it asks for school evaluation type material. The rules of this forum clearly ask that users not use this from to offer or solicit review type information about schools. Please visit the Member Forum for such activity. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.