Stories of Success

zenteach

Stories of Success

Post by zenteach »

It would be interesting to hear stories of success of educators who have moved from less desirable schools/situations to more desirable schools/situations that they are thriving in. Any of the following might be interesting to share about:

- What do you not miss about your old school/situation?
- What is your favorite thing about your new school/situation?
- What advice would you give to colleagues who might be not sure about moving on, but know it is probably better for their emotional/mental health?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

THINGS I DONT MISS:

1) Dumb Leadership that makes a nuisance of themselves. Not that I dont have dumb leadership but at least they are quit about it. In the past Ive had dumb leaders who didnt really know anything but needed to prove themselves or convince themselves or others they had value to add with a constant stream of emails and meetings that centered on some nonsense they read about collaboration or some new technique they got from a website.

2) Average students who think they are exceptional. More often its the parents who think their kid is exceptional when really they are just average. Having followers or likes on social media doesnt mean you know anything. The idea that anyone who is an adult cant possibly understand your unique form of angst that troubles you so. Its hormones, and your frustrations arent unique, ITs understand, we just dont really care all that much, get your work in on time. If you got half or most of the questions wrong on the last assessment its not the IT its you.

3) Parents who cuss you out and then threaten to sue you because their little darling is a dull witted miscreant. Less so the problem than the parent who thinks the entire job of an IT is only their child, and I should have invested 100% of my time and efforts into their childs success, because as parents they cant do it, dont have the time to do it, or have more important priorities than their children growing into adults. Parents who think that everything they cant or wont do falls to ITs to do. Parenting your child is not my job.

4) Colleagues who shouldnt be in the classroom but havent been promoted to leadership yet. In DE these would be the DTs that teach by lecture and then use worksheets and packets for everything. In IE its more ITs who are popular and fun but dont really know their subject very well and use activity to disguise a lack of competence. These are the ITs that are always doing presentations, posters, debates, role-playing, peer teach, group teach, and other 'projects' because they consume instruction time and slow down the pace of content material presentation.

5) ITs whose field is mostly play. Visual art, theater, physical education, library, esthetics, and because IB has been a recent topic CAS, etc. Who think their class and subject is as important as maths, science, literature, history, economics, etc.

6) ISs that dont understand the importance of environmental controls. If your IS is in a country thats essentially jungle like conditions in terms of humidity and climate and you only have ceiling fans that dont always work and dont have air-con, you hate ITs. Same goes for regions that are associated with being close to wear Santa lives, but ITs have to regularly wear their coat in class, you also hate ITs.

7) Secretaries and Receptionists that act like they run the place because they really do, but play stupid games like making you sign out a key to access the faculty toilet. Requiring every print job to be released by them. Having a log sheet for the faculty refrigerator. Creating an individual budget for non-inventoried office supplies on top of the classroom budget thats actually mandated by leadership (seriously having to count the number of paperclips and whether they will be returned or not). Dont get me started on copier rationing.

8) Documentation requirements that are asinine. Its easier to just pass a student than complete the paperwork to fail them that requires the IT to create an intervention plan to improve the students success and identify where the instruction failed the student.

9) Pretending a student is dyslexic or ADHD instead of recognizing what is an obvious learning or cognitive disability.

10) Being consistently late with salary payments, unexplained deductions, or implementing a fine system for trivial or perceived infractions that are not in the contract.

WHAT I LIKE MOST:

Having an obscure enough role that requires about an hours worth of real work that might actually matter for a full days coin plus OSH benefits. Somedays I have to ask myself what my job is, and more often than not the answer is my role is a total resource leech in a bloated system.

ADVICE:

Dont confuse what you do with being who you are.
milesaway

Re: Response

Post by milesaway »

PsyGuy wrote:
> THINGS I DONT MISS:
>
> 1) Dumb Leadership that makes a nuisance of themselves. Not that I dont
> have dumb leadership but at least they are quit about it. In the past Ive
> had dumb leaders who didnt really know anything but needed to prove
> themselves or convince themselves or others they had value to add with a
> constant stream of emails and meetings that centered on some nonsense they
> read about collaboration or some new technique they got from a website.
>
> 2) Average students who think they are exceptional. More often its the
> parents who think their kid is exceptional when really they are just
> average. Having followers or likes on social media doesnt mean you know
> anything. The idea that anyone who is an adult cant possibly understand
> your unique form of angst that troubles you so. Its hormones, and your
> frustrations arent unique, ITs understand, we just dont really care all
> that much, get your work in on time. If you got half or most of the
> questions wrong on the last assessment its not the IT its you.
>
> 3) Parents who cuss you out and then threaten to sue you because their
> little darling is a dull witted miscreant. Less so the problem than the
> parent who thinks the entire job of an IT is only their child, and I should
> have invested 100% of my time and efforts into their childs success,
> because as parents they cant do it, dont have the time to do it, or have
> more important priorities than their children growing into adults. Parents
> who think that everything they cant or wont do falls to ITs to do.
> Parenting your child is not my job.
>
> 4) Colleagues who shouldnt be in the classroom but havent been promoted to
> leadership yet. In DE these would be the DTs that teach by lecture and then
> use worksheets and packets for everything. In IE its more ITs who are
> popular and fun but dont really know their subject very well and use
> activity to disguise a lack of competence. These are the ITs that are
> always doing presentations, posters, debates, role-playing, peer teach,
> group teach, and other 'projects' because they consume instruction time and
> slow down the pace of content material presentation.
>
> 5) ITs whose field is mostly play. Visual art, theater, physical education,
> library, esthetics, and because IB has been a recent topic CAS, etc. Who
> think their class and subject is as important as maths, science,
> literature, history, economics, etc.
>
> 6) ISs that dont understand the importance of environmental controls. If
> your IS is in a country thats essentially jungle like conditions in terms
> of humidity and climate and you only have ceiling fans that dont always
> work and dont have air-con, you hate ITs. Same goes for regions that are
> associated with being close to wear Santa lives, but ITs have to regularly
> wear their coat in class, you also hate ITs.
>
> 7) Secretaries and Receptionists that act like they run the place because
> they really do, but play stupid games like making you sign out a key to
> access the faculty toilet. Requiring every print job to be released by
> them. Having a log sheet for the faculty refrigerator. Creating an
> individual budget for non-inventoried office supplies on top of the
> classroom budget thats actually mandated by leadership (seriously having to
> count the number of paperclips and whether they will be returned or not).
> Dont get me started on copier rationing.
>
> 8) Documentation requirements that are asinine. Its easier to just pass a
> student than complete the paperwork to fail them that requires the IT to
> create an intervention plan to improve the students success and identify
> where the instruction failed the student.
>
> 9) Pretending a student is dyslexic or ADHD instead of recognizing what is
> an obvious learning or cognitive disability.
>
> 10) Being consistently late with salary payments, unexplained deductions,
> or implementing a fine system for trivial or perceived infractions that are
> not in the contract.
>
> WHAT I LIKE MOST:
>
> Having an obscure enough role that requires about an hours worth of real
> work that might actually matter for a full days coin plus OSH benefits.
> Somedays I have to ask myself what my job is, and more often than not the
> answer is my role is a total resource leech in a bloated system.
>
> ADVICE:
>
> Dont confuse what you do with being who you are.

I often respect a lot of what you have to say on this blog, unfortunately this is not one of those times. After reading this, several things come to mind...
I hope you have only a few years left till you retire, you sound like a miserable teacher and I am sure that reflects in the classroom and with your peers.
Anyone who thinks so highly of themselves to downgrade another subject, must not respect the entire process of education for a student.
I wish I knew what school you work at so I could avoid it.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:

> WHAT I LIKE MOST:
>
> Having an obscure enough role that requires about an hours worth of real
> work that might actually matter for a full days coin plus OSH benefits.
>
> ADVICE:
>
> Dont confuse what you do with being who you are.

ISS or ET?
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

Finally, something we can agree on - you're a leech!
buffalofan

Re: Stories of Success

Post by buffalofan »

The astonishingly arrogant and egotistical admin. The dysfunctionality. The dreadfully boring city the school was located in. The fact that the school was non-profit, but acted like a for-profit in so many ways.

Teachers are actually trusted to some extent and the savings potential is high.

- What advice would you give to colleagues who might be not sure about moving on, but know it is probably better for their emotional/mental health?

Make a list of pros/cons. If the pros list isn't significantly longer than the cons list, get the hell out asap.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

When doing a list of pros/cons or advantages/disadvantages it is advisable to first create a list of needs/priorities, so that you have something to compare your items against in terms of whats an advantage and what is a disadvantage. This provides two benefits:
1) It allows comparisons of not just quantity of items but quality of items as well instead of assuming every pro is equal to every con. If a priority is savings potential than low cost of living shouldnt be worth the same as access to a local produce market.
2) It allows what might be considered a con (such as boring, or little night life) to be a pro (boring means less spending) or the inverse.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Well yeah, it's assumed that any pros/cons list is going to be highly personalized.

Another way to evaluate this that has worked for me is to look at 4 areas:

*The job/school itself
*The satisfaction with city/country
*The travel ops
*The savings potential

If all 4 are working for you, you would be a fool to leave (but this is rare).

If 3 of 4 are still good, you might want to just stay on until you get the itch for a new adventure (unless the job itself is a total nightmare).

If 2 of 4 have gone bad, you really need to at least start a "soft" search and have some sort of rough idea or timeline for an exit plan. You could possibly sign on for another year or 2.

If only 1 of these is working for you, get out asap. Your overall quality of life is probably suffering. Some may argue on this one, but I don't care how good the job/school is if the city has nothing to offer you, you can't save anything, and travel ops are limited due to geography or costs. Conversely, you could also be in the greatest city in the world, but if the job is an awful dead-end stress magnet and you can't save any money, you are kidding yourself if you think you should stay on.

If these have all gone bad, you have stayed too long already or are teaching back home in a public school.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I have a similar take and look at the following, in no particular order:

Working conditions: How am I treated by leadership? How well resourced is the school? How big are the classes? How are my students? How are the parents? What is the extracurricular load like?

Pay: How well can I live on my salary? What is the savings potential? What will the pay be like moving forward (opportunities for advancement, etc.)?

Social: How do I like my colleagues? What is the expat community as a whole like? Can I make friends in this place?

Wider context of my life: How easily can I pursue my hobbies and interests? How do I like the country and city? If I want to travel, how easily can I do that?

Career: Does teaching still bring me joy? Do I have the opportunities to develop professionally through things like new courses, leadership roles, or just good PD?

No school is perfect. Sometimes you give up one to get another. Sometimes all suck. Sometimes "moving up" means taking a hit in one but gaining in two or three. So when I think about what I miss in a prior school, it will vary; I miss the colleagues and atmosphere of collaboration at one, but not the pay or the workload. I miss the wider opportunities outside of school at one but am excited to advance my career and have more resources at another. I would advise colleagues to be honest with themselves about all of these and to consider which ones they are and aren't willing to compromise on. Do your research.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Covering lessons of absentee teachers and serving on umpteen committees, but I do miss compassion and humanity towards students and colleagues at my old school.

Low taxes and cost of living

Don't move on in a rush. You might end up in a situation worse than where you are now both psychologically and financially. If the admin promises something major during an interview, ask them to put it in the contract. Ask questions about small things related to support systems, PD budget, curriculum, assessment, grade inflation, parental pressure, attitudes of counsellors and middle leaders (some of them are real bullies), etc. as these issues will affect your daily well being than the pay check.
popgirl

Post by popgirl »

fine dude wrote:
>I do miss compassion and humanity towards students and colleagues at my
> old school.

Ditto. I should really like where I work. Top payer in the region, amazing facilities, famous name. It's just that they're all so nasty to/about each other - admin, faculty, parents & students. Top tier isn't all it's cracked up to be.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant blame ITs for being hyper vigilant, or even just vigilant about making sure there is documentation to support the negotiation, in the contract is preferred but even email is better than a verbal understanding, that can to easily become a misunderstanding. The issue I find is that contracts are rarely worth much, especially small things. Leaders and recruiters will agree to things and then just not perform or they will make a policy change that negates (from their POV) what was agreed to. Will an IT walk over the little stuff, what are their options if they do, can they afford to be unemployed for the year if they do walk? Most attrition for cause by ITs is not for major factors and issues but the accumulation of little things that paints a different picture than the one the IT agreed to and thought they were getting into.

Ive written a number of times that there are many ITs who never grow up and their IS, and the DS they came from for that matter is just an extension of senior school tropes, and memes. Theres a reason why KS/K12 edu (especially in the US) is portrayed comedically as it is. The faculty are always represented as extensions of the same drama found in students. Theres the divas, the jocks, the pretty mean girls, the intellectuals, the sweet well to dos, the artsy role, the token minority, the substitute/relief, the insane helicopter parent, and the sane normal every man custodian just doing their job. Its a formula that gets played and repeated over and over because it rings true, its identifiable and relatable, audiences connect with that narrative because its something they experienced. ITs bring that with them when they transition to IE. ITs dont move to IE to change themselves, but to change their environment and working conditions.
zenteach

Post by zenteach »

@buffalofan - I really like your point about the 4 categories you mentioned: job itself, country, travel opportunities and savings potential. I was in a 3/4 job and now I am feeling like I am in a 4/4 so it reminds me to have gratitude and just appreciate the time. I was seeking balance and simply liking my job.

@psychguy - Great point about, "Don't confuse what you do with being who you are." Taking ourselves too seriously and getting too wrapped up in work becoming our identity can be detrimental.

@ThamesPirate - The 4 categories you mention are nice frames. And I see what you mean about sometimes advancing your career means a change in how great some of those categories are.

@popgirl - It is interesting isn't it?! Sometimes, in some cases, top tier simply means the school has been around awhile, but it does not always necessarily mean things are more "cutting-edge" at the top tiers than the younger, less well known places.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

My issue with previous contributors, is that those points arent all priorities for everyone.
I know many ITs who dont give a thought to savings. Theyre living where they want and as long as they dont run out of coin at the end of the month they dont care whats in their banking account.
Likewise there are many ITs who are where they want that have no interest in traveling. They got a job in Tokyo, they have zero interest in going back home and why would they leave Tokyo, ever.
As to the IS itself many traits and characteristics one IT or even most ITs would value others would find as annoyances. Having well developed curriculum and lessons may mean to an IT a lack of flexibility or diminished opportunities for exploration off the path. For some it may mean they cant wing it on a Monday morning after a weekend of imbibing. Some ITs dont really want to teach, and they just follow the book lecturing at the whiteboard which takes almost zero preparation.
Leadership and Parents is another such issue. Some ITs want support, and affirmation from parents and leaders and some just want to be left alone even if that equates to neglect. The same goes for colleagues.

Sometimes you click with people, and sometimes you dont click with anyone. Some ITs dont want their work circle and their social circle to overlap.
Many ITs with vastly differing ranges of experience think they know everything and PD isnt something they are interested in.
A fair majority of ITs have no interest in advancement, they arent interested in leadership or other non-classroom roles, or even junior leadership.
There is a substantial number of ITs that have no interest in moving up the tiers or into higher tier ISs or locations. Ive met more ITs that were content making what they do with the workload they have than meet the expectations that comes with better coin at ISs.

Top tier may not be a good fit for a particular IT but its still top tier. There are ITs who dont give a poop how other ITs think, feel or act, they dont know or dont care.
popgirl

Post by popgirl »

> @popgirl - It is interesting isn't it?! Sometimes, in some cases, top tier
> simply means the school has been around awhile, but it does not always
> necessarily mean things are more "cutting-edge" at the top tiers
> than the younger, less well known places.

It's not that they're not cutting edge, or bad educators - they're all just really nasty to each other and about each other.